Encore Shooters

I have seen encore with 300 win mag, 308, and 243 do well out in the field(for a hunter). The smaller the caliber the better results we were getting. With the 300wm considered the worst, it still groups within one moa accurate. But this guy did a rediculous amount of load developments (hundreds of shots with nosler, sierra, hornady). So far the A-max consistently did the best out of all. The 243 was the only gun to consistently to make one hole shots. Others were half moa accurate.

Haven't seen them muzzleloaders in the field but I have read and heard often from folks that this is supposively one of the top brand for muzzleloaders.

My 30-06AI eabco barrel is wonderfully accurate...at least for me.

This is my best group at 100yds
DSC01965.jpg

DSC01970.jpg

It averages.... probably...group size...between 1/2" to 3/4".

Excellent shooting! It's amazing how accruate the Encores can be.
They are a joy to carry, light weight and short.
I get half MOA groups at 700 yards with mine.

Nice shooting Paul!!! The Encore has alwaiys been a good system for me. Have had them in the .308, .270, and now the 7MM Rem Mag. And when finally tuned in the groups were all acceptable. What size bullet (grain) and type were you shooting with the .30-06 and were they factory or reloads?

My Encore is a very finicky rifle but it really shines when all the stars align properly! I had a factory .25/06 barrel that would not shoot, no matter what I tried it would do no better than 1.5" or so for 5 shots at 100 yards. The .300 Winchester factory barrels from what I have heard are usually very accurate. As the others have said my .50 caliber barrel is an excellent shooter. The other one currently in the stable is a .405 Winchester factory barrel that also shoots very well. If you like to tinker and fiddle to get things just right they are capable of very good accuracy. If you don't want to mess with it I would recommend another platform! Having said that I will hang on to mine!

Bob

Thank you fellows...

Halfmast.....I have to shoot reloads in the 30-06 Ackley Improved though I can shoot factory loading of the 30-06 Spring. for fireforming if I wish....But....my reloading compents here are... reloder 15 powder pushing the 150gr Nosler Ballistic Tip at 3000fps. This is my primary deer hunting rig and with the heavy barrel...it's still ok in the field to carry...balanced so nice. I also have a 243AI bullberry barrel that shoots just as well ....But down the road I would like to possibly get a factory .204....

Last edited:
I have n love my 7mm rem mag 26inch heavy factory barrel 4.5x14x56 leupold vxL. Varmit reticle. Shot it this morn Zero @ 250 1.5 group. 4.0 Group @ 400 held dead on. Bullet drop was 16 inch. N matches 400yrd reticle love the scope. Factory ammo 140 gr remingtom core lokt. Does have 2lbs trigger spring my buddy put n for me. Not great group. probably me lol. But it'll smack a buck down here n FL gonna try hsm 168 vld

4 inch group at 400 is MOA, can't complain about that shooting factory ammo. You haven't even broken the barrel in yet. Good shooting. I love the Encores and I love the Berger VLDs. I've got 4 Leupolds with varmint hunter reticules. They are awesome. You can get custom dials for 65 bucks from leupold. Thou you should put 200 rounds down the tube and get it broke in before you crony it and order custom dials. Good luck, but you better hurry, Hunting season is almost over here in Florida! This weekend is the last weekend in Alabama.
Good luck,
Robbin

Love the Encore and Contender. My 26" 7MM Rem. Mag barrel was a 1 1/2 MOA until I sent it out to Mike Bellm for a tune-up. Now I can consistently do 3/4 MOA with the 162 A-Max. Actually Josh Kistler did the work and it is the best $75 bucks I've spent on shooting gear. My '06 is a 1 MOA barrel and I am sending it to Mike to lengthen the throat for the 208 A-Max, and tune-up. Hope it comes back a 1/2 MOA.

I went n shot it sunday morn. Tried dialing it up. I was 16 inches low @ 400yds so I dailed it up 64 clicks. Didn't hit target from saturday went n got rangefinder n bullets went back. Dialed it back 64 clicks shot it @ 100 yards about 2inches high I went out to 280yds. Just a little over 1inch group using the 300 reticle then backed up to 420yards sent three 2 were 3inch n one flyer don't know y dialing it up didn't work ?? this was @ 280yds

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.