Elk Migration in CO?

redneckclimbing

I got a half wild idea in my head just today. When deer hunting this September I saw a 330+ Bull Elk with five cows in a very secluded pass at about 11,000' in elevation. This was Sept. 7th. and it is on OTC area.

Barring a pile of snow in the high country what are the odds that bull would still be there Oct. 18th for the start of the second Rifle season?

We heard several bulls in the area but only laid eyes on the one (Alot of dark timber). Didn't see any other deer hunters the whole time. And only a few archery hunters in an entirely other canyon, a couple of miles away.

I have hunted these elevations in the area before, 2nd season, and there generally isn't alot of snow. Less than a foot, if any at all.

Any thoughts?

Man with the weather like this who knows. I have never seem a fall like this. Archery seasons was rough they only started bugling for us the last 5 days or so. The does have just started to move in my area. I think that the elk will stay put for another week or so. Good luck.

I'm going out for 2nd season, fully prepared for the cold. But looking at the Long Range forecast, I may be dragging a lot more clothes than necessary.

The bull could still be in the general area, but chances are the rut will be over at that point, so he will probably be out on his own and not with the cows. Because of that, there is no telling where he might hang out. But if there isn't a substantial amount of snow, I am guessing he will not be migrating out of there by then.

I talked to some people the other day and they said that near Winter Park the elk just started really bugling the other day. The rut will still be going on and it is supposed to stay pretty warm this next week (minus one day of snow). I would expect the elk to still be pretty high

I've hunted CO for the last 15 years at 9000-11000'. The elk seem to stay high until it gets down into the single digits, a decent storm comes in and drops snow or hunters push them out.

I also get bulls bugling during second season every year. I've called them in and watched them have rut type behavior.

I say find a way to glass that area before the season. I think we have a few days of no hunting to let the animals settle down a bit. We always get there on Wednesday and glass every morning and evening. Then we know where to go hunt.

Well, there's no way for me to get up there before the season. (I'm working out of town).

I have also hunted between 9,000 + 10,500' for the last few seasons (just a couple of miles away) and we defenitely see elk in there as well.

My thoughts are, I know people that would pull the trigger on that bull in a heart beat after cashing in 20+ points on a 201 tag! If I can go up there and hunt him for 0 points and the price of a tag. If there's even a 10% chance of getting him. I take those odds ALL DAY, EVERY YEAR!

Thanks, for the advice fellas, I'll post a pic. for sure if we run into each other!gun)

As warm as it is barring lots of hunting pressure or being run off by the bigger bulls I'd say your odds of him still being in the same area are pretty good.

We used to spend a lot of time in South Central an South Eastern CO and I never saw the elk get serious about moving without heavy crusted snow or lots of hunters pushing them down.

You can always go high and if you don't find them work your way down by glassing valleys and meadows below you till you find them.

Just got back from Unit 24. It was unlike any other time Ive been there. It was unusually warm. I was in and out of the dark timber 9650 to 10,000 plus. Saw ridiculous amounts of both Elk and Deer sign. Could not find the darn ghosts. Some hunters shot two cows less than 200 yards around a bend from me.

On Sunday morning I only heard 3 shot all morning before lunch. As we began to strike camp, I noticed that many hunters had already gone. It was a good time nonetheless, but this time, The ELK Won!

Well, came back last night. Had to get an offer in on a house, and didn't see any sign. Went up to the pass where we saw them in September. Like I said didn't see any elk sign, some older deer tracks, but that was it.
Not a lot of snow, a couple of inches in patches, and not really cold, didn't even frost. There were a lot more hunters around then I expected. They were all hunting lower than I was. I talked to some guys from Texas that had come up a couple of days early to scout.
They said they had been hunting there for 9 years and that was the least amount of sign / elk they had ever seen there. One guy said, he might of heard a bugle but wasn't sure.
Anyways, that's how it went down, whatever it's worth. Thanks again for the advice / experience. Maybe I'll have to go up there with a muzzle-loader next year. :rolleyes:

Heading out Monday for 3rd rifle season in Colorado. Hope to have one 'migrate' to my freezer by the 9th. Doesn't look like the snow we had last year but that's hunting. Forecast does show a change of temps kicking in next week though.
Good luck to all heading out this week and be safe and enjoy the time in the woods.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.