Electronic calls, batteries and cold temps?

CoachChris

Thinking about stepping up to an electronic call.
The cold temps here kill battery life pretty darn fast.

Folks who live in the great white north what have you found works for you?

I'm in your neck of the woods and I've been using Foxpros for 5 or six years now. I started out with a now discontinued base model spitfire, it worked great even below zero and the battery life was way longer than I ever expected, i only changed out the batteries once per season.

I upgraded last year to the inferno to get a couple features I wanted and I did have an issue in the cold with it last season, not the battery life but the remote quit working. It was just below 0 degrees and I was out in it for probably 5 hours. Once I got it home and warmed up it worked great again. The weather hasn't been that cold again yet but I'll give her another rip this winter when the mercury dips. I'm guessing the problem was with the 9v battery in the remote but I'm not totally sure on that.

Had a problem with mine when we were out last winter. Switched to lithium batteries and haven't had a problem since. Good luck this winter to you all.

Lithium batteries are the ticket in the cold. buy them and you will be happy. I have hunted in -20 weather and the caller worked just fine with Lithium batteries.

Wlfdg... the guys above are on the money... but I'd like to add one more word of caution... not all calls can use the lithium batteries. I have a foxpro spitfire and it won't run on them... though my fusion does (the fusion actually has a setting on the ecaller to change from alkaline, nimh, lith etc)... but it uses twice the batteries and really sucks em down.

The spitfire I can use 3 nights back to back.... the fusion... 1 night, so if I were you, I'd try to stay with a call that will use lithiums... but isn't a battery hog. That would be the way I'd go if I had to do it all over again.

Good luck buddy... and hope to see some of your mutts posted soon!

The best batteries for cold weather (by far) are Energizer Ultimate Lithium.

But any lithium battery will do very well. They are lighter than other batteries and have a 7 year shelf life and best of all work very well in cold temps.

Eric B.

I use the FoxPro fusion and use energize rechargeable, never had an issue with cold weather bothering them here in michigan

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.