Mouth Calls or Electronic?

yote doctor

So lets hear what kind of calls you guys use and what brands. I have been calling coyotes quite often for 5 years now. I have only used mouth calls. Friends and family of mine also use mouth calls. We have good success but im the type of guy that thinks you can always do a little better. (more dogs right):D

Brings me to electronic calls. Foxpros I know are popular. Im sure there are a few other favorites out there.

I am thinking of putting an electronic call in the mix and would like to hear from some of you. Let me know if you started stacking up more furs after switching to electronic or going with the mouth calls.

Thanks Guys

We started using an electronic call for the range, it roughly doubled our stand productivity. We are at 75% call in so far which is huge, we can cover so much more area with less stands than before. Kills on stand went way up also, they just don't see you with the call located up wind 50-100yrds and they come right over the top of you! I've had them so focused on the call that I've completely swung around for the shot and they won't catch it, also have had to add a short range weapon to keep them of our toes, I've never had them come in this fast and committed with hand calls. I would not consider my self really good with the hand calls so the electronic made me a super hero!

Tried the Foxpro but it didn't have enough poop and the sounds were of, got a Wildlife Technologies and haven't blown a call since, the range is unreal and the sounds are amazing! Wildlife Technologies

Also started using a MT decoy with the call, keeps their eyes locked and there ears locked, we've called them right up our wind with this set up!

This thread beginning to look like a Montana conversation so I might as well chime in. I agree with just about everything bigngreen had on his post. I find the electronic is much more effective if you are calling alone - sound is away from you and the comment about using a decoy is probably the most effective little tool you can add to your arsenal. I still use a hand call when in the timber as half the time they can be on you before you have any idea. The biggest advantage I see with the electronic is the added volumne in the wind - and the wind always blows over on the east side of the State.

Bigngreen: Never have seen one of the Wildlife Technology calls - are there different models and did you buy it locally or through the Net?

The only source is from the Wildlife Tech. We played with one when they
were $1200 but now they are very reasonable, there are two models now, one of the guys that is local tests them and helps get sounds and he has the newest one and it is better than the previous model we have. It has more than enough volume for us and we can use it because of the sound quality. We call real loud, loud enough that with other callers they take of but the sounds are so good they flip out and smoke in. They keep real tight reigns on their product but for good reason. I wish the controller was cooler but cool don't kill coyotes!

Wildlife Technologies The web site is good and has a lot of info but it is good to read it all.

Playing sounds over the internet does them no justice, one of my favorite sounds you can hear every detail of the bark and howl, and you can hear the small details like huff sounds that you only know are there if you've had a coyote stand a few yards away and bark and carry on at your decoy or dog.

Those are great numbers you are bringing in! I will take a look at those calls. Calling coyotes is at the top of my list of things to do. I dont mind shelling out some cash for a product that is going to pay off in the long run. Including the decoy. I know it wouldnt hurt to have one of those as well.

Keep the info coming.

Thanks

I used a electronic caller for about 9 yrs. Great success. But I switched to mouth calls 90 % of the time in the last 6 years. The only time I used a electronic caller is when it's 25 degrees or colder, and does not go above freezing. I feel that when it's below freezing, coyotes come in alot harder and faster, and that's only time I need a electronic caller. I use a decoy when I mouth call and and use a electronic caller. When it's below freezing and I use a mouth call with a decoy, coyotes don't even look at the decoy, they just come right to me.gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts