Eberlestock J34 reviews

mcseal2

Eberlestock J34 is a very popular pack.

I am looking at selling my X1E daypack I bought last fall and buying one of these to start backpack hunting with. I already have a mini-me and several other small daypacks for when I don't need much capacity. Anyway, I thought I'd see how others liked this pack. It looks like the base weight is less than the J107. I would be carrying 30-40lbs of gear packing in, and hopefully gear plus a muley packing out. I am comfortable and familiar with the eberlestock scabbard design and would like to stay with one of their packs.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the J34, and the only thing that I don't like is the pockets on the on the top flap, they wold be uch better if they ran across the pack from side to side rather than angel them downward along the side. If you accidently leave one open, your going to loose stuff on the trail. Also when the pack is loaded and strapped down, you will not have easy access to the other side pockets, the external straps will be in the way.

Also, make sure that you like the gold trim, if not, it will drive you nuts in the field.

Other than that, its a great pack.

Got my J34 and have been carrying it, made six 3-4 mile hikes with it carrying 43lbs including my rifle. It is more comfortable than anything else I've tried, very happy with it. The pack is really well designed and handles the weight well. I figured I'd start getting in shape for fall so I've been walking the hills every other night.

I just made the switch from the x1 to the j34 prior to last season. Best move i have made. Had no problem packing out 2 deer (boned out at kill sight, shot on different days) during last season. I do agree with azgutpile, though. The zippers could be better designed. All in all, great comfortable pack.

I have used the J34 and have a Blue Widow, which is a J107 minus the scabbard and would rather have the J107 Dragonfly over the J34... just my $.02

I have owned one for 2 hunting seasons, and have used it to carry gear for a 7 day backpack trip. You can't beat it.
As for hunting, it makes a reasonable daypack and will expand into a big hauler if you get something down. I have packed over 70# and the pack handles it fine.

I have a J107 and my good hunting partner has a J34. For 3 days and less the J34 is perfect. Lots of room for gear and just enough to pack out an animal (boned). If you are hiking in the colder weather (extra clothes) or your going for 4 days+ I would go for the J107M (wider scabbard than the standard dragonfly).
That being said, some guys prefer to pack a little lighter than me, but I usually sit around the 45lbs mark for 5 days, but have gone in as heavy as 63lbs (my brother in law didnt have a big pack, so the guy with the biggest pack got to haul extra:rolleyes:).

I packed out a caribou cape and antlers and was good to go. For camp/hunt trips I also employ the spike camp duffle and super spike duffle to get lots of gear to camp. I bought the strap extenders for the main compression straps as with a full spike camp duffle and main compartment, the straps on the pack are a little to short. I also went with the extra large waist belt to move the molle straps further forward, and it has LOTS more padding than the stock waist belt, but you have to be in the 38"+ waist range to make it tighten up good as its longer in the padded area..

I chose the j34 over the j107 due to width, I wanted a narrower profile for hunting with it on, although if a guy is planning to use his pack for lots of heavy hauling the j107 with the heavier frame would probably be better. 70#-75# is pretty much the limit for me. I think the pack will handle more but my old bones just won't git r done anymore...

Have been thinking of selling the j34 to downsize further (lighter) into a better daypack as I think my backcountry hunts are about behind me and I bought a really neat and very light Simpson Capstan winch that I have hauled two Rosevelt Bulls with at the same time up a very steep ridge in the Oregon Coast Range, guts/feathers and all.....30'/min. and sips fuel but the cost makes the packs look cheap.....8 hours behind the winch beats 8 hours making trips with elk quarters any day of the week.......:)

No matter what, I am sold on the Eberle packs as a great value, the quality seems first rate, they are comfortable and adjustable, and whatever I do it will have Eberlestock stamped on it....

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.