EAW Pivot Scope Mount for heavy rifle and a scope to go with it

S

shaughn

Recently the gun buying bug struck and a new rifle should show up in a few days.

I picked up a Zastava M70 (M98) standard model BA in .375 H&H based on feedback from others, I know it's not a LR rifle, but I have been looking for a reasonably priced control feed rifle that with some work can be turned into a reliable DG outfit, without spending the cost of a small car or large truck or has the potential value of either, but be rather easy to replace should it get damaged or lost.

So I was looking at some quick detachable mount/ring combinations, hunt plains game/other and use a scope, get into the weeds and thickets after something that can and will stomp you or attempt to eat you, pop off the scope and used the express sight...Talley, Leupold QR were a couple of systems I looked at, but not the tactical stuff, do want the rifle to look like a few of my older Mauser's that I have had over the years, was digging thru my quality parts drawer...:).. Yeah! Yeah!..I know "JUNK" drawer according to the wife and discovered I had an FN Mauser EAW pivot scope mount, think it was pulled off a rifle that was converted into a target gun...

Even though I have had a fair few rifles with Claw/Turret/European rail mounts come thru my hands, I don't recall ever having this particular style of mount on a rifle and definitely not on a medium bore, though I have seen them on said rifles at shows and shops here and there.

It is for a 1 inch scope and is nice and tight , may replace the mounting screws with torx style, but otherwise it is a solid steel mount.

Anyone use one of these type of mounts or have a suggestion for a mount I haven't thought of..your input would be appreciated. I lean more towards a steel mount, because accidents do happen and the steel mount/rings does seem to shrug it off a little better.

Does anyone still make a straight tube fixed or low powered variable with a German Post, for a reasonable price?

Sorry for the lack of pictures, but we on a very poor dial up system here and I could probably deliver the pictures to you faster than trying to post them.

Thanks.

Well rifle arrived today!

You can tell that they do military rifles in the same factory...I encountered the scourge of all surplus gun owners...Cosmoline... the slug that popped out on the end of the cleaning jag was 1 inch long :eek: will probably do a review sooner or late, but it is a working mans rifle, some machining marks here and there and needs a little bit of working to get it to cycle smoothly, but that can be the case with any rifle.
Trigger pull was light and crisp with no take up and maybe a little bit of gritty (haven't cleaned it yet) barrel is 21.5 inches with a flip up rear sight going, to see if NECG has a decent express sight and is middle weight with the Bavarian style Hog Back stock, might strip the finish and use linseed oil to bring out the grain.

Talked to New England Custom Gun and they indicated my mount shouldn't have any issued with the recoil of the .375 H&H and for now an old Bushnell 2.5X or Weaver 3X will do for orientation and breaking it in, then will get some new screws for the rings, figures that 1 screw head just has to strip as I was torquing them down, but it's in there now.

So now need to research rifle scopes and find time to get out to the range, might just decide to go with a buddy for moose this year...Alder thickets anyone?

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.