Drew a Kentucky Elk tag

badbowtie15

Still not sure whether I'm ecstatic or bitter, but my wife drew a Kentucky elk bull tag, firearms week 1! This is probably a once in a lifetime tag so I'm pretty much settled on hiring an outfitter. Does anyone have any experience or advice with this hunt? Can anyone provide recommendations for outfitters? Thanks.

There is a great episode about Kentucky elk hunting on the Elk Talk podcast with Randy and Corey. If I remember correctly, they had the head of the fish and game department for Kentucky on with them. Might be worth a listen. Tell her congrats because most of us will never draw it!!

Good Luck with your hunt. Make sure you go with a trusted outfitter that can give you lots of references that you can check on. My niece won a bull elk hunt in Kentucky two years ago through some sort of raffle. She had no idea what she was doing and couldn't tell the difference between a Bull or a Cow. She got royally screwed. I hope your experience is a wonderful one and I hope your wife knows how lucky she is. Pictures Please.......

Hire a guide with some private property. Some guides charge a big price & take you to all public ground where you have to dodge atvs. If you are lucky enough to get one of the limited draw areas, your chances are pretty good. One big plus- it's the first rifle. Take a Thermocell, mosquitoes & biting gnats could be terrible.

Still not sure whether I'm ecstatic or bitter, but my wife drew a Kentucky elk bull tag, firearms week 1! This is probably a once in a lifetime tag so I'm pretty much settled on hiring an outfitter. Does anyone have any experience or advice with this hunt? Can anyone provide recommendations for outfitters? Thanks.
Worked with a guy that has a cousin guiding for these guys. Honest and grew up in the area. Tried many times to get a late cow tag so me and him could go down and take one on a weekend. Never drew. Has leases on over 1800 acres.

Worked with a guy that has a cousin guiding for these guys. Honest and grew up in the area. Tried many times to get a late cow tag so me and him could go down and take one on a weekend. Never drew. Has leases on over 1800 acres.
Wow! 3500 for a 5 day fully guided Bull Elk hunt is pretty solid!

Wow! 3500 for a 5 day fully guided Bull Elk hunt is pretty solid!
Guy that owns property across road from me took this one. It was state record for one year. Think it's 2nd or 3rd now. I could ask him what guide service he used. I know it was on private land. Land owner said there were 2 giants there and he was afraid they might get poached. They drove by a bedded 6x6 on the way in that morning. His brother couldn't believe they passed it up.

Thank you. I'll give them a shout.