Dpms bull barrel removal?

Mram10us

I have a friend that has a dpms bull and I want to throw it in the lathe and thread it for a brake. I havent got my hands on it yet. How hard is it to remove the barrel? Is it normal procedure to turn the barrel attached to the upper? Thanks

edit: plan is to turn the barrel down and wrap in carbon fiber where able. Any warnings and advice welcome. Got the cf process figured out

Last edited:
It should be no different than any other AR barrel removal. In factory form, those uppers came with a free float tube, with the holes around the perimeter for a barrel nut/spud type wrench. I've used grinder lock nut wrenches before, pretty simple.

Otherwise, it should be just pull the flash hider "if equipped", pull the gas block and tube, remove the handguard, remove barrel nut then barrel slides right out of upper socket.

My DPMS bull barrels are .986" dia at the gas block journal, the barrel nut slides right off and over the entire length. There is plenty of meat there to turn away for your intended purpose.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.