does point of impact change?

Hoyt10

Hey fellas just found your site,love it.Just a quick question,maybe it's a dumb one but here goes.I have a Rem 700 SPS .204 ruger with a 6x24 scope attached.If i sight the rifle in at x24 power at 100 yds does the point of impact change if I shoot a coyote at 100yds at x10 power?

If your scope is of decent quality it should not change.
Try putting your gun in a padded wise or jam it in sandbags while looking at a target at some distance. Adjust up and down and see if anything happens.

It should not in theory but in reality, it probably does as do nearly all variable powered scopes. Now the question is if it changes enough for you to tell with your shooting ability and the quality of the rifle and ammo.

The upper end scopes are so consistant over different power settings that it could be extremely hard to tell any difference even with the best rifles and best marksmen.

Some lower priced scopes will give you a noticable shift in POI with any power change. Its easy to find out, shoot a group at 100 yards on 24x and then on 10x and see.

To give you a more accurate idea, back up to 300 or 400 yards and do the same, it may suprise you how much in fact the POI does shift.

Kirby Allen(50)

Thanks alot fellas.You gave me some ideas that I will try.My buddies think I'm too anal about small groups.Not satisfied if I can't group a quarter at 100.Same with archery tackle.They get a kick out of it.Thanks again.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.