Does neck length on brass make a difference in accuracy?

I would like to try this stuff also, but i've got the same problem as Jaybray. I don't have a bore scope to check things out.

I would like to try this stuff also, but i've got the same problem as Jaybray. I don't have a bore scope to check things out.

I never have bought one either, but I mainly shoot at my uncles ranch where we have static backers out to 600 and portable backers where we can shoot out to wherever, and he has one. They are nice, you never have to guess about what's going on down that tube....

A carbon ring may form sooner and be longer in length.
index.php

I never have bought one either, but I mainly shoot at my uncles ranch where we have static backers out to 600 and portable backers where we can shoot out to wherever, and he has one. They are nice, you never have to guess about what's going on down that tube....[/QUOTE

If you ever decide to try this gasket remover and scope it please post your results.TKS

If the neck length were so important to accuracy then the 284 Win, 264WM & 300WM would be woefull in accuracy, fortunately the opposite is true.
Accuracy and neck length are far less important than neck tension, which needs to be consistent for proper and consistent start pressure.
I employ the same techniques on my hunting rigs as I use on my comp rigs, the rifle tells me what neck tension it likes, and the brass gets powdered graphite run through the inside of the neck while being sized, then charged and bullet seated.
This gives me the most consistent start pressure and superb accuracy.

It is also fact that fireforming brass in an improved chamber shortens the neck by .020-.030". The more the shoulder moves, the shorter the neck becomes.

Cheers.
:)

If the neck length were so important to accuracy then the 284 Win, 264WM & 300WM would be woefull in accuracy, fortunately the opposite is true.
Accuracy and neck length are far less important than neck tension, which needs to be consistent for proper and consistent start pressure.
I employ the same techniques on my hunting rigs as I use on my comp rigs, the rifle tells me what neck tension it likes, and the brass gets powdered graphite run through the inside of the neck while being sized, then charged and bullet seated.
This gives me the most consistent start pressure and superb accuracy.

It is also fact that fireforming brass in an improved chamber shortens the neck by .020-.030". The more the shoulder moves, the shorter the neck becomes.

Cheers.
:)

Just curious, how do you clean your RCBS and Hornady dies???? :)

Obviously there is more to it than longer necks are more accurate than shorter neck. A short neck centered will be more accurate than a longer neck that is off centered. From things I've seen, I agree with MagnumManic that neck tension is more important.
I attended a local high power match to watch a couple guys I know compete. The gentleman that won the match is an older guy, retired and I could not believe my eyes when I looked in his ammo box. The fired cases were not bright and clean, nor pretty at all. The second thing I noticed the cases were all different lengths! I did a double take. Needless to say, he shot very well. But I can't help it. Gotta have shinny brass! I'm not sweating the case length being the same anymore. Most new brass for my 264 Mag is around 2.488 in length, necks are around .266 and datum length is 2.140. After firing the shoulder reaches 2.163. After resizing the neck is around .246 in length.
I was sweating the idea that my necks were not at least as long as the caliber size. But the gun just plain shoots. Well, it does now. Not long after that match I attended, the gentlemen that won the match, also won at Camp Perry. A couple months later he re barreled my 264 WM. ;)

This is one of my most accurate wildcats. It is based on a .220 Swift leaving a 1/8" long neck. It is fired single shot in a factory Savage never fired and reamed when brand new. It's first five shots at 100 went .256". Any time I took it to the range it would go in the threes or under. Neck length apparently is no big deal. Average velocity with Nosler 55 is 4,005 feet per second.

I don't know what happened to the photo. It is really clear before uploaded.
20171231_130023_Film1.jpg

This is one of my most accurate wildcats. It is based on a .220 Swift leaving a 1/8" long neck. It is fired single shot in a factory Savage never fired and reamed when brand new. It's first five shots at 100 went .256". Any time I took it to the range it would go in the threes or under. Neck length apparently is no big deal. Average velocity with Nosler 55 is 4,005 feet per second.

I don't know what happened to the photo. It is really clear before uploaded.
View attachment 87016
Dang computers, always fuzzing stuff up!!!
That is one crazy looking cartridge ! And I was just fixing to make a new thread about sizing only half the length of the necks trying to stay off the shoulder with a full length die. Got my question answered here, I think. Thanks Rich Coyle!
Gregg

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.