Does Hog Calling Work? - VIDEO

Double Naught Spy

Over the last few years, I have bantered around the topic of hog calling with Glenn Guess, a prolific, local hog hunter here in north Texas. He is a huge proponent of it and while I understood it could be done, I had come to realize that a lot of folks with grunt tubes probably were not having as much success because they really didn't speak "hog." Glenn has raised hogs for years and learned to associate sounds with behaviors. I still can't run a grunt tube worth a darn, but I can run an electronic caller.

In speaking with Glenn and watching some of his videos online and some he hasn't released yet, it became apparent that the calls that seem to attract hogs most often involve sows and/or piglets. They are calls that will either generate interest from other hogs, or compel them to come to the rescue. The call I am primarily using in the video is one where a sow is defending piglets from a threat. These sorts of sounds apparently do a good job of calling other sows to the rescue. Glenn had suggested that sounds such as boars fighting are sounds best used as a last resort as such sounds are not apt to attract as many hogs and may actually scare them away, apparently not wanting to be involved in a fight between boars.

Of course, why hogs may or may not respond is partially conjecture. However, based on Glenn's experiences and what we found last night, this sort of call certainly can bring in hogs and bring them from long distance. Like calling coyotes, it won't always work. We tried calling for nearly 3 hours in a previous spot down in the bottoms and had no luck what-so-ever.

Here is the video. I had a malfunction with a gummed-up firing pin and expressed myself in an ungentlemanly manner. That has been covered over.
redface.gif
The problem has been resolved.

The hunter who saved the bacon is Ed, aka Zen Archery, a fine hunter. gun)

[ame]https://youtu.be/uNGCo-isAoU[/ame]

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.