DO NOT buy Base Map if you want to drop remote pins using a SIG rangefinder

LRNut

I just upgraded to Base Map PRO so I can drop pins from a ranged target. Not even close to being accurate; saw another thread a year ago with the same complaint, but obviously not fixed yet. Wrote support just now to see if there is something I am doing wrong. Will post their response.

Support responded very quickly - said to ensure my iPhone compass is calibrated, and also to calibrate my SIG compass. SIG said calibration was only "fair" when I started, so I recalibrated until it was "good." Also, switched my iPhone compass to true north. Remote pins were more accurate, but still not "dead bang on" as I discovered when I walked to the waypoints; one was off by 40 yards (762 yards away) and the other off 83 yards (910 yards away). Interestingly, both were off to the north, so I am assuming it is still a compass issue.

Just got another response after I sent the above to Base Map support:

Our developer said that there is an issue with the device sending the coordinates based on Magnetic north when our app is using True North. We believe this is the issue. Our Developer is working on a fix for this.

I have experienced the same through extensive testing. I would be great if they can get it to work.

BaseMap overall seems like it has gotten worse over the years instead of better. I will be looking elsewhere next season.

BaseMap overall seems like it has gotten worse over the years instead of better. I will be looking elsewhere next season.
BaseMap does have some features I wish On X had - like giving you a compass azimuth when you want to go to a waypoint instead of "984 yards SSE."

The detail of their satellite images is better than On X as well. However, their land ownership isn't as up to date.

BaseMap does have some features I wish On X had - like giving you a compass azimuth when you want to go to a waypoint instead of "984 yards SSE."

The detail of their satellite images is better than On X as well. However, their land ownership isn't as up to date.
I promise this isn't a boomer anti technology post.

I have basemap, gohunt, onx, scout to hunt, and probably some others. I hunt multiple states, doing usually deep in expedition type hunts. So, e-scouting is important. I simply don't have time to drive around western US to scout. I don't even know what states I'll draw, which gives me less time.

Hence why I still opt to use a paper map. I have onx in a garmin series GPS for land ownership.

All my scouting on gohunt just gets transcribed to
the map and/or the GPS, so everything satellite related is done at home and not in the field. As if I would have signal.

Azimuth can be determined on the map. Declination is on the map if shooting an azimuth on the compass. So no need for true north, just a standard grid to magnetic. Map holds my notes as well. For me, it's easier this way with more accuracy. Once I'm boots on ground and going where I mapped out, the satellite imagery isn't really relevant anymore. I've already executed a decision.