google maps is useless when it won't download the map

EdWalton

I live in Georgia, while stalking hogs yesterday I got turned around in the woods, I got my cell phone & opened google maps. It gave me a dot with my GPS position, but it wouldn't download the map. Me not being where I thought I was, totally devoid of directional orientation & no map I went the wrong way; when I finally crossed a road I was eight miles from the truck.

I need recommendations for an app which stores the map on the phone?

Thank You

Ed

I would get one of the more ancient apps called a compass, learn to use it, and put it in my pocket. What ya gonna do when your battery goes dead. Get lost in some western mnts like that and you may never be seen again...OK, done preaching.

They also make compass apps for phones. Also Check out Xmaps. You can download map sections to your phone before had with it. The version for a GPS is really good. The maps are on the GPS and even show property boundaries, if in an area where trespassing might be an concern.

Safe travels. I've been lost before too.

If you have an android device you can download Backcountry navigator. There are several topo maps, forest service maps and other layers. You can download areas to your phone if you are going somewhere without service. For a couple extra bucks they sell a private land overlay, so you will have a better idea where you are supposed to be.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.