Do I need Match ammo for 50yards

Strip Poker 388

This is my first rifle,so I am practicing at the local range thats only 50 yards.Do I really need match ammo at 50 yards? figuring I can shoot more with the cheaper ammo.First day I shot the federal goldmedal match 308 168 at $25 a box.this is what it was sighted in with.

My rifle is
Rem 700 varmint 308
Bell and Carlson stock
Wyatt's Detachable mag kit
loupold vx3 6.5x20x50 fine duplex 30mm dia

Had a buddy thats a sniper instructor here did the trigger job and at 2 1/2 lbs
bolt honed, Barrel broke in and he sighted it at 100yard with 1/2 moa.

Thanks for any suggestions
Rob:D

Something like
Federal AE 7.62x51 M1A 168gr OTM Federal AE 7.62x51 M1A 168gr OTM

Prvi Partizan .308 $12.95 Prvi Partizan .308 168gr

The Armory: 308 Winchester / 7.62x51 NATO Ammunition , ammo, Remington, Winchester, Corbon, S&B, PMC, Aguila, Wolf, 308 Win (7.62x51mm) NATO 168 gr HPBT PPU MATCH Ammo

IMG_0014.jpg

Last edited:
i would say that you dont need match ammo. i mean at 50m i wouldnt be able to tell if the load was good. unless it was grouping over 1 inch then i would just keep using what you are using and try to get to a site to shoot further. i find that until i get past 100 everything seems to group under moa all the time. once you get out to 200+ you soon learn what is shooting well. sometimes its me who is the fault.:D

I am thinking I need to get as much practice as I can until I can find a place to shoot longer distance .Again this is my first rifle I am new to all this.

also at 50 yards would the grain of the bullet make much difference???

Thanks
Rob:D

at 50yrds the bullet wont really change speed or drop much or anything so i think it shouldnt matter at all, unless your gun doesnt like that grain bullet

Buy yourself some bulk military ammo from Sportsman's guide or Cabela's and have at it. On the other hand, I think it is necessary for a shooter to shoot exactly the same ammo that he plans on using for other applications. The problem with 50 yards is that it will be hard to tell what ammo is really working for your rifle.

Tank

At 50 yards...you really need a good pistol not a .308:D

But to answer the question, no if 50yds is all you have access to and you really want to shoot a rifle then just shoot whatever is cheap.

My 50 yard guns:
IMG_3568.jpg

Just kidding! I actually do a fair bit of shooting at 50 yards because it's convenient. I run a 50 yard pistol range pretty frequently, and often when there's a break between shooters, I'll shoot one of my rifles for a while. It's even been useful with my .308, just for practice. No, you don't need the best ammo to do some good, worthwhile practice at 50 yards. If possible, use that for doing some unsupported shooting from prone, sitting, kneeling and standing...

Then take that .308 of yours out somewhere and stretch the range, that's a 600+ yard rifle you've got there! Looks good.

Guy

If I only had access to 50 yards, with the occational trip to shoot LR I wouldn't waist the money on the ammo. Unless I was trying to chrony different loads. I would just do a lot of dry firing, after you have had your Sniper buddy give you a proper block of instruction (if not you may just be building bad habits). I wouldn't even waist my time with a .22 rimfire, unless I had 2-300yards. You can learn quite a bit shooting a .22 out that far!
Sounds like you need to have your buddy hook you up with some range time.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.