Disappointed with the Berger 156 grain EOL

I shot a buck at 130 yards with my 6.5 PRC using Berger 156 grains EOL. I hit him right behind the shoulder. The buck ran about 50 yards with no blood. There was no exit wound. My Son and Grandsons have shot whitetail and axis with no exit wounds. Kind of disappointed with this bullet. My loads were going about 2860 fps and no exit wounds on that buck I shot. Looking for some advice as to what would be a good bullet to use that would have good exit wounds, thanks in advance
Bergers are designed to penetrate 2"-3" then explode.

I shot an elk a month ago at 829 yards with the berger 156 out of my 6.5 saum mv 2960
And one shot and it did exit about the size of a golf ball and the elk did not go anywhere
I love this bullet it shoots light out in my rifle
I have killed several elk and deer and one antelope at 256 and they all died on their feet

If you go to YouTube and watch Barbourcreek bullet testing the 156 actually did very poorly but not because they opened up and didn't exit. Conversely, they didn't open much at all and just penciled through. Barbourcreek recommended using the 140 Berger as they have had great success with that bullet. I'd recommend a Nosler Accubond or Barnes LRX. They are great for getting pass throughs with golf ball size exits. The 170 grain EOL in .277 cal are another bullet that doesn't open much but rather passes through for my 270 WSM. But I actually like that about it. I've shot that bullet through 5 mule deer bucks and 3 elk. 💪 Works great for what I want out of a bullet.

^^^ good job, you found it. Ol James seems like a hard *** but he's a straight shooter. He tests everything and gives honest feedback.

I switched to 125 nosler partition for my 6.5 Creedmoor, shoots very accurate and has exited each deer I've shot at 2800 fps

I have no experience with the bergers, I mostly use nosler and Sierra with great results. Why are people so crazy about getting exit wounds? In my experience when a bullet doesn't exit and transfers all energy into the animal, it is 9 out 10 times DRT. Yes I understand you get better blood trails with exit but who needs blood trail if it drops where it stands.

I have no experience with the bergers, I mostly use nosler and Sierra with great results. Why are people so crazy about getting exit wounds? In my experience when a bullet doesn't exit and transfers all energy into the animal, it is 9 out 10 times DRT. Yes I understand you get better blood trails with exit but who needs blood trail if it drops where it stands.
People that hunt back east seem to really like blood trails. If it's thick enough, runs a few yards and dies maybe they can't find it. Idk, I'd rather have a bang-flop than have to track some thing.

Last edited:
I switched to 125 nosler partition for my 6.5 Creedmoor, shoots very accurate and has exited each deer I've shot at 2800 fps
That's an excellent bullet for exit wounds. Out of my kids Creed we've been having great luck with the 124 Hammer Hunters and 140 grain Accubonds. The Berger 135 Classic Hunter shoots amazing out of the rifle but man they are really fragile. Kids aren't the best for avoiding bones and picking perfect angles so we had some horrible meat loss and rodeos with cripples. As you can see from the photos posted, with Berger bullets you get a lot of bloodshot and burger. Went back to the bonded and monos. Save the Bergers for what they're designed to do, shoot med long range 400 yds and over. That's where they shine.