Digital Micrometer Problems

Yes it's a caliper and yes it has a new battery and no it's not a compressed load and yes I have a device to check it's accuracy and it seems to vary a couple thousands between measurements. I'm going to try a couple of my other calipers and see if they do the same thing.

It's frustrating when you're trying to do precision reloading and your calipers which you check everything with aren't reliable.

Thanks for the other ideas guys.... :)

I don't consider Fowler to be a good caliper. Interapid, Tesa, brown and Sharp are all made by the same company and I'm not sure if they are still making the interapid
I've owned several sets of Fowlers, and my only gripe was battery life. They really eat batteries. Somewhere around the house I have a 12" and either 18" or maybe 24" pair. Very hard to get serious readings with them as they are so big and awkward. Their micrometers are as good as most anybody's (except Lufkin). I've used all the big players, and kinda got set in my ways<g>.
gary

Digital Caliper Round-Up - Which Digital Caliper Should I Buy? ~My Recommendation~

Digital Caliper Round-Up
Ed,

I use the iGaging Calipers demo'd in that vid. Faultless performance.

Like the OP, I use the Hornady attachments. I've slightly regretted not going with the Sinclair Comparator. The difference being stainless steel -vs- aluminum.

Last edited:
I really appreciate the video above and the one that followed (for me) was this one (below) and it certainly will tell you why NOT to buy the Chinese knockoff of the Mitutoyo or any Chinese versions notice the battery draw and expected battery life....

I think I will buy the Eye Gaging EZ Cal if my research does NOT indicate it's a Chinese knockoff... More to come later... Amazon here I come... OOPS!!! The Eye Gaging are of Chinese manufacture.... <sigh>

OK... I'm now thinking Mitutoyo because I want to be able to kiss the lands with my handloads and if I end up doing that then absolute correctness is imperative BUT I find that there is a dizzying array of choice in Mitutoyo... Does anyone recommend a particular model?

No decisions are easy in this age of the internet and so many versions of any product... LOL

Here is a batter discussion and why the Mitutoyo are so much better with battery life as compared to the Eye Gaging EZ Cal. I know that battery life isn't super critical but one of the videos I looked at showed very well what a low battery situation can do to effect accuracy...

I've had the same battery in my mitutoyo calipers for 5yrs now... I've left them on over many weekends at work. Heck, many weeks at a time. I use them every day and they're still going strong.

I think I will buy the Eye Gaging EZ Cal if my research does NOT indicate it's a Chinese knockoff... More to come later... Amazon here I come... OOPS!!! The Eye Gaging are of Chinese manufacture.... <sigh>
The iGaging Store is operated by Anytime Inc. With over 15 years of experience in eCommerce and Tools, We are committed to bring you the best quality products at the most affordable pricing. We are an American company located in Los Angeles, California.
http://www.igagingstore.com/aboutus.asp

If this is some knock-off Chinese product ... get one before they're pulled off the market. It's a really good set of calipers at an unbeatable price.

I also use the igaging calipers in the video. 2 weeks ago I bit the bullet and got a Mitutoyo with the tapered spindle from Bruno's. What a tool!! Anyway, I measured some of my cases and did I get a big surprise!! They both recorded the same readings on all the cases!! Lots of comfort in knowing the calipers are up to the task.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.