different ogives?

Timbers

Trying to reload today for the 338 lapua using lapua brass and hornady 285 grain hpbt bullets and every 7 or 8 bullets I was noticing the c.o.a.l would be off sometimes just a few thousandths to as much as 30 thousandths. The best I can tell is the ogive on these bullets are not exact. I've reloaded for .223 and .308 and never had this problem. This isn't normal to be off this much is it?

Trying to reload today for the 338 lapua using lapua brass and hornady 285 grain hpbt bullets and every 7 or 8 bullets I was noticing the c.o.a.l would be off sometimes just a few thousandths to as much as 30 thousandths. The best I can tell is the ogive on these bullets are not exact. I've reloaded for .223 and .308 and never had this problem. This isn't normal to be off this much is it?

Measure CBTO instead of COAL. Read Berger's article on CBTO vs COAL.

Last edited:
You can also check to be sure your stem is not bottoming out on the tip of the bullet rather than the ogive

030 is excessive though in either case.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.