Dies question

Buccaneerfan

I need to get dies for my 223 but it has been so long since I bought my last set, I seem to be out of the loop. What is the difference between a neck die, an F L die and a small base die? What type do I need for a regular old 223?

I'd suggest the FL die, preferably a bushing type die like the Redding Type-S FL die. The Small Base dies won't cause you any problems (and may even save a few), but you likely don't need them unless you're running a gas gun. Even there, they aren't always required. Save the Neck Sizing die for some time when you feel you don't have enough aggrivations in your life. Use them, and at some point they'll add some new frustrations for you. You'll need a FL die to sort them out, so why not just go there to begin with and save some cash?

Don't forget to consider a gage, either a chamber type or bump gage, to help you set the dies (of whatever type) up properly to begin with.

if its for a bolt gun go with the LEE set that offers the collet die.in my little old 223 I can load the cases up to 10 times before I need to bump the shoulder of the cases.and the loads shoot really well.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts