Dies for 338 RUM

gamehawker

I'm getting a Remington 700 Sendero SF 338 RUM and I'm looking at some dies to reload for it.

On my twin Remington 700 Sendero SF 7mm STWs I use a Forster Bench Rest Full Length Sizer Die and a Forster Ultra Micrometer Seater Die. I really like them and get great results at the range with my reloads.

I do not think Forster makes a Bench Rest Full Length Sizer Die or an Ultra Micrometer Seater Die for the 338 RUM.

So I have been looking at Redding dies and in particular the Redding Type S Match Bushing 2-Die Set and the Redding Competition Bushing 3-Die Neck Sizer Set.

Redding Type S Match Bushing 2-Die Set 338 Remington Ultra Mag

Redding Competition Bushing 3-Die Neck Sizer Set 338 Remington Ultra

What would you get? Also, I can't figure out if the Redding Competition Bushing 3-Die Neck Sizer Set resizes?

I also have never used a die with bushing in it so can someone instruct me how they work? Do I need to buy the bushings separately and if so where and what size?

Thanks!

I'm getting a Remington 700 Sendero SF 338 RUM and I'm looking at some dies to reload for it.

On my twin Remington 700 Sendero SF 7mm STWs I use a Forster Bench Rest Full Length Sizer Die and a Forster Ultra Micrometer Seater Die. I really like them and get great results at the range with my reloads.

I do not think Forster makes a Bench Rest Full Length Sizer Die or an Ultra Micrometer Seater Die for the 338 RUM.

So I have been looking at Redding dies and in particular the Redding Type S Match Bushing 2-Die Set and the Redding Competition Bushing 3-Die Neck Sizer Set.

Redding Type S Match Bushing 2-Die Set 338 Remington Ultra Mag

Redding Competition Bushing 3-Die Neck Sizer Set 338 Remington Ultra

What would you get? Also, I can't figure out if the Redding Competition Bushing 3-Die Neck Sizer Set resizes?

I also have never used a die with bushing in it so can someone instruct me how they work? Do I need to buy the bushings separately and if so where and what size?

Thanks!

Anyone?

Thanks!

When I had my Sendero SF in 338RUM I used a standard set of RCBS dies and it was more accurate than I could shoot a big magnum (sub .25MOA) I just don't see the need for expensive dies unless maybe the rifle is a problem child that doesn't seem to work with the regular ones.

I have had issues with my standard redding dies for my 338 rum. I wasn't able to seat the berger 300 gr otm deep enough into the case to fit my magazine. I even purchased the vld seating micrometer and it still didn't work. I called redding and they were no help. I bought a new set of rcbs dies and put my redding die into the metal lathe and fixed their screw up. I seat my 300 gr to magazine length at 3.670 and they shoot great. I didn't have the seating problem with accubonds or barnes tipped triple shocks.

I have never regretted buying the redding competition dies. I always end up with a set for my guns, sometimes I start with "regular" dies, but end up with the Comp dies before long. Less working of the case, less bullet run out.............. They are a little tough to pay for but after that it's all good.

I bought a Forster Micro seater die in 375 Rum, called Forster & got a 338 Lapua seater stem, removed 375 stem & screwed in 338 stem. I get almost no runout. If I remember right, I caught the seater die on clearance at Midway for around $55.

I use a 338 rum RCBS neck die & a 338 rum Redding Body die when shoulder needs bumped.

Odd mix & match, but works for me.

Just checked at Midway, 375 rum forster seater die is now a special order item, $69.99 I'm sure you could find it somewhere else in stock.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.