Die recommendation? .308 Norma Mag

ntsqd

Looking for a die set for a .308 Norma Mag build. Was thinking of a Redding Type S (Elite?) + the Lee collet die, but Redding doesn't offer them in that caliber. I'm finding listings for Redding std dies, but not Comp type seater dies and they say that they won't make any until they have an order for 25 of them! Anyone else make a similar seater die?

I'd need to closely compare the SAMMI dwgs, but it has occurred to me that I might be able to modify a .300 WIN Comp Seater die to work. Surface grinder + Spindex means that unless made of diamonds I can modify the die. Whether I should or not is a different question.

Lee doesn't offer the collet die COTS, but will make it custom. They can't/won't make the collet sizer die w/o some fired cases and I'm ~20 weeks away from having a barrel. And chambering the barrel requires 3 dummy loads. Chicken, meet egg.
I have some ~30 year old brass that I can possibly get bullets to seat in (they possibly were resized a long time ago), but I'll have to do something wacky like use a .300 Wby seater die to get there. and it may require red Lock-tite to hold the bullets in place.

No point in saying "Just go with a .300 Win" or similar because I am not interested. There's an emotional attachment to this chambering that won't be swayed by practicality.

As far as seating dies the RCBS comp seater die for the 30/06--300 Win will work as they are not cartridge specific but caliber specific. I have a 22/250 RCBS comp seater die and with the proper insert and seating stem I can seat bullets anywhere from my 222 Rem to my 30/378 Weatherby mag with no die grinding. As for a sizing die I believe that RCBS makes a die set for the 308 Norma.

Thank you. I'm hoping for a micrometer type seater die over a std. type.

The caliber is not listed anywhere on their page, but it looks like Forster has some inventory from a previous run of them and I've ordered a set of FL sizer & their Ultra Seater dies.

I'm thinking that if I want a neck sizing bushing die that I'll have to make it from a .300 Win die as I'm not finding one of those and so far no one seems too interested in making a custom set of dies.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.