Die choice dilemma

trickytune

I have been waiting for my Savage 260 Rem to arrive and it finally has and I'm trying to buy all the best reloading gear etc for the future. Im going to use Berger VLD projectiles which like to be loaded with a seating die that fits correctly and I have chosen the Forster Ultra micrometer seater but I have to wait for it to come which could be months. Im new to reloading and I have everything I need to shoot e.g. rifle, scope, projectiles, powder, brass but no dies. Should I just buy some Lee dies to get started and at least use my rifle till the other arrives or should I wait? From what i read I will need to modify the Lee seater to seat from the ogive not the tip due to the length of the Bergers. I intend to get the best groups the rifle is capable of and some long range beer cans and hunting as well.

Redding and Forester are the undisputed best. Forrester is quite a bit better value but the same in quality. If a person had to buy a different die the Hornady is a good piece if you want to deal with the lock ring. I have seen in tolerances and quality in normal dies, a good one is Lee for normal dies. As you state they do not focus on the VLD bullets. They do not make as many dies as the others and change the reamers out quicker and keep a eye on quality control a lot better. Lee is a small family owned business that cares. The owners daughter is the sales rep that goes to the reloading shops and takes care of the large and small retailers and there business. Not a large mass produced company with careless employees just there for paycheck.

dies are a personal choice. I have lyman, rcbs, hornady and lee. For my 7mm rm I have shelved the rcbs and only use the lee collet die, (except for when anneal then I use the rcbs FL). As for seating I always use the lee. Again personal choice.
For the money Lee dies are a great value

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.