Precision Reloading Die Choice

TGScott

I posted this elsewhere so some of you have probably seen this, but I wanted the opinion of the LRH members. I'm looking to upgrade from "standard" dies for a couple of rifles and need some advice. I've been looking at what both Redding and Forester have to offer and like the looks of both. Redding seems to have some additional features like their custom shellholder sets (incremental length changes) and bushing dies allowing very fine adjustments to your load's dimensions, but to set up with Redding would probably cost twice as much as Forester. Is it worth it? I know it depends on your needs and use, and I'm not looking at competitive benchrest shooting, but I am looking to get the best I can out of a couple of custom hunting and varmint rifles. Any advice?

I use the redding comp shell holders but like the forester dies. I normally have mine converted to bushing by Jim Carstenson (JLC Precision) for $40.

Also heard a lot of very good things about the new Hornady custom dies. They are BR quality, come with bushings and they will make a custom for your chamber for under $100 and couple weeks turn around.

BH

The Redding match dies are very good.

The Forster Ultra seater is outstanding, and easier to setup and use than the Redding.

The Hornady dies are very good, and I don't know how they make them so cheap, you can get a complete set for $25-ish - I use them on my 50 BMG rifle, and love them.

RCBS seems to have fallen to the back of the line in the last ten or 15 years.

Tgscot, Here is my two cents worth. I really like the Forster ultra seaters and the price is right. I use redding bushing neck dies and the body dies. In the neck dies I use the carbide buttons from redding and i like them alot. I also use the comp. shellholder on some work. So as a result I buy the dies seperatley.

Bounty hunter , You had mentioned having the Forsters converted? Does this mean you just have the Forster bored out to accept the redding bushings?

Rh

Yes that is all that is done. Jim Carstenson does it for around $40 and week turnaround. He is listed under Tools over on www.6mmbr.com. He does outstanding work.

He can also make ($75) a custom fit FL size die with bushings from a Redding body bump die ($24), honed to your chamber.

BH

I use the Forster FL die and ultra seater in a Remington 700P and Savage BVSS 308. I sent the FL die to Forster and they honed the neck diameter to my specs (.334") for $15. This may be an option but you are only limited to one neck diameter this way.

playersc

Below are the Rifle Dies that I have if memory serves me.

RCBS standard 2 die set:
221 Fireball, 223 Rem, 22-250 Rem, 243 Win, 25-06 Rem, 264 WM, 7mm Rem Mag, 7mm STW, 30-06 Spr. 338-378 Wby.

RCBS Gold Medal:
30-378 Wby.

Hornady:
Std 2 Die 270 Win
New Dimension 338 Win Mag.

Weatherby Universal (as far as I know no longer available):
257 Wby.

LEE Deluxe 3 die set:
223 Rem, 25-06 Rem, 7-08 Rem, 7mm Rem Mag

Redding Std Neck die and Seater, Type-S Neck bushing die:
7mm STW

Redding Competition 3 die set:
7mm STW, 338 Lapua Mag

For Benchrest accuracy I got to say the Redding Competition dies are the best. The price however leaves something to be desired.

For the price the LEE dies can't be beat. On a tight budget that would be my choice and I now choose them over the Standard RCBS or Hornady dies. As you can see form the list some of the RCBS dies have been replaced with LEE.

The more I use the RCBS Gold Medal dies the better I like them. The bullet seating die has a window you drop the bullets in like the Weatherby Universal seating die, but it holds the bullet rather than falling through as the Wby. does. In the future any new dies I buy I think will be the RCBS Gold Medal. I sincerely hope they catch on so that they will be available when I decide to purchase another die set. RCBS introductory price has them between std. dies and Redding. I can find no dealers currently stocking them.

http://www.rcbs.com/default.asp?menu=1&s1=1

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.