Did I screw up cast bullets ?

orion2000

I acquired several boxes of cast pistol bullets that had been in a flooded basement. They had small traces of flood mud on them. I figured I would run them thru the tumbler to knock the dirt off of them. Lyman turbo tumbler with the green Lyman treated media.

Unfortunately, them seemed to have picked up all of the green cleaning compound from the media. To the point of feeling sticky/tacky. Pictures below. Middle bullet has been run thru a Lee sizer.

So, what are my options ? wipe down each one individually ? melt them down and recast them ? Or, is there another type of media I should be using?

Attachments

• Bullets_2.jpg
    Bullets_2.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 113
I would try and wipe em off individually and if they dont come clean I would melt them back down and recast. Flux the pot really good to get all that **** outta there and try it again. I dont ever run any cast bullets through the tumbler esssspecailly if they are lubed! That lube picks up everything, but you do what you think is best buddy. But try and get the lube and the media off the bullets before you melt down and cast again. its quicker to lube again than to cast, size, and relube. just my opinion. Goodluck man

ohh btw it could be that the media was treated. Try some run of the mill corncob or walnut and see if that doesnt bring it off.

A two hour trip thru the tumbler with walnut shell and Mr. Clean seems to have fixed the problem. The little bit of dirt on the one's I handled kept me from feeling the lube that was already on the bullets. I will have to relube these. But, in good condition now. Thank you !

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.