Did I have unrealistic expectations?

Every Savage 9 twist barrel that I have loaded for has been 22" sporters. They all have shot the 105 Amax great and have killed the heck out of Whitetail Deer. The first one I loaded for was my brother's Savage. I pulled a load out of the Hodgdon manual, using Retumbo and the 105 Amax. He went with me to the 1000 yard range I used to compete at twice a month. He had never shot farther then 200 yards. The only rounds that had been down that barrel was 1.5 boxes of Rem. factory corelokts. He finished the second box then I started him on the reloads. Sighted the rifle at 100 yards, Took it to 200, then to 300. He did real well. Before I left home I went to JBM and printed out a drop chart. We screwed his 100 zero back in, then we went to the 565 yard springloaded prairie dog, screwed the dope in, I spotted for him and in a few shots he was hitting a 3.5"x12" steel dog. We did let the barrel cool somewhat, but he did not miss it 2 times in a row, he hit it plenty. I have loaded the Amax in the .243 with several powders, all of them accurate. My close shooting buddy down in s.Florida has a Barrel like yours and loads the Amax with good accuracy. My buddies up here in n.Florida that have that same barrel shoot them with good accuracy. I do believe the Berger will not be as accurate, it relies on a faster twist. You will be able to go to 1000 with it and an Amax, I've seen it done to many times. I'm not saying it will be the greatest accuracy, but it will be good none the less.

Dgd6mm,
Good to know. I will pick up the Amax, I should have today. Sounds like the Bergers I ordered aren't gonna work but I'll still play with them. Wbm mentioned the Sierra 95's, I will try those as well. I ordered the Sierra 100's that my dealer ordered after talking to Savage, don't know about those either but will shoot them. I sure do appreciate all the help I'm getting from you guys. Just curious what your caliber of choice is for out to 1000? In terms of most enjoyable to shoot that distance.

They all have shot the 105 Amax great and have killed the heck out of Whitetail Deer.

Ya know Hornady says "not for hunting" but you keep seeing hunters like you talking about how this bullet performs really well on deer size game. Hard to beat results.

Well Ghost, when I first started shooting 1000 yard+ ranges I was like many others and believed you needed a big magnum. Started with a .300 RUM, went to the .300 Lapua which was built for 1000 yard minimum. I set 2 club records with the Lapua, then got a wild hair. I started learning about a cartridge ( 6MM Competition Match ). I had Dave Bruno chamber my first 6CM, which is not to get confused with the 6Creedmoor. I screwed it on to a Savage model 12 stainless steel single shot. Broke the 7.5 twist Krieger barrel in. Took it to 1000 yards, first match ff brass and finished 3rd. The following month went back and won tying my 2club records I set with the Lapua. I shoot 115 DTAC's. I have 3- 6CM's, I'd have to say this is my favorite cartridge for 1000.

That is an interesting story. Kinda funny in the sense that there are always multiple ways to arrive at the same point. I'm curious about something though, compared to the larger calibers how do your group sizes compare at a 1000 with the 6mm's? About the same? Tighter? Spread out.

Ghoast7, first I want to apologize to you and the others for filling your thread with dribble. I will answer your questions and hope to get back to topic. I really never shot the big boys for groups to much on paper. The .300 Lapua gave me a 3 shot break-in group at 1060 yards that measured 2.316". After break-in at 1060, 3 shot 1.5" using 210 JLK. At just over 1 mile my buddy shot a 3 shot group that measured just under 8". That was with a 216 Clinch River bullet. I shot it one time at 300 yards, 9 shot tight ragged hole. Shot steel with it after that till I sold it with about 350 rounds down the barrel. Greg Tannel built that rifle. My 6CM's all shoot fantastic. The one I spoke of in the other post is a 27" Krieger LV barrel. My 10 shot group at 1028 measured just under 4.5". This barrel's load consist of H1000 and a 115DTAC. The barrel now has just over 3900 rounds down it and I put it on paper, 5 shot group .4moa at 600 yards. It is now on a model10 Savage LE action, this is my tac rifle. I have a 6CM 30" Krieger screwed to a Hall action, this is my BR rifle, 10 shots for score on a 600 yard IBS target that was shot at 800 yards, 2" group - 99-4x. Won some stuff with them, they shoot small, barrel life is great. I have a 3rd barrel that is a Lawton ready to go when the tac barrel opens up. This one has been broke in and Nitrited by MMI Trutec, it's a shooter also. ( dribble, dribble). Back to you, what powder are you going to load with?

Powder? Not sure. Right now with the 85 gr sierras I've my best results with varget. Taking into consideration the 105 gr bullet I think I will have to find something else as it looks I need to achieve at leat 3100 fps out of muzzle to get what I need down range. What is your recommendation? What have you had good luck with? With the exception of some bullets powder is readily available here.

Dgd6mm, I meant to say that it's not dribble to me. I ask these questions to get an idea of what is ahead of me. Though I don't know you or any others on this forum, you have to remember that I don't know anyone with any experience in this long range game so it is all useful info to me. Basically by your last dribble, your words not mine, I realized that I need to be basically punching a ragged hole at a hundred to be decent at a grand. Now I also take it that you don't like tooting your own horn, so to speak. I don't detect any arrogance so providing it's all true bring all the dribble you want because it is good stuff to me.

It 's all true what I've told you. To get 3100 fps out of a 26" .243 pushing a 105 gr. bullet will be rough, and if you can make it the throat will not last long. I think my buddy was getting over 3000 fps using IMR 3031. I borescoped his barrel at 350 rounds and it was ugly. I would start a new thread asking about load info, also if you wanted to give me a call we could run some #'s on Quick Load.

Let me know,

Don Dunlap

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.