Did I go Wrong? Custom .300 Win Mag. 1/12" twist

I have a 1-11 Tika in 300wm and wanted to shoot 215 Bergers as well. Asked on this board if it would stabilize the 215's. The expert in this area Brian Litz weighed in and said yes but the BC would be lower due to slow twist. Loaded some up and they stabilized and shoot well out to 600 which is as far as my range. If you have the barrel I would try them.

I have a friend shooting 215 Bergers from a .308 win 1 in 12 twist @ 26xx fps. We are 4100' asl. Colder temps and lower altitude could toss a wrench in the mix, but he just posted a video on our site of the rifle piling them into a small group at 1125 yards. So wont hurt to give them a go.

Jeff

Man... this is one you are just going to have to go to the range and sort out for yourself. You have obviously gotten "yes" and "no" as answers but the proof is down the end of your muzzle, where your target is. I have a Tikka Tactical 308 and thought I'd try to work up some loads with the 215s. My first trip to the range with the loads I worked up were some of the worst I've ever reloaded at 200 yards. They were actually so bad... that I actually started thinking that perhaps I'd shot out that barrel, so I grabbed (3) 168gr VLDs that I loaded last fall, sent them downrange, and at 200 yards, they were in a .7x" group. My barrel is 1in11.

So my vote is ... give em a whirl if you can afford it. You won't really know how your barrel and setup is going to respond until you try. I'll be on this side of things crossing my fingers for you.

I do have a Ruger Precision Rifle in 308 that should darken my doorstep early next week which has a 1in10 twist rate... and I'm definitely going to see if the 215s will like that gun better than the Tikka.

Good luck!​

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.