Did I go Wrong? Custom .300 Win Mag. 1/12" twist

dagrizman

Some time last fall I decide on a Custom LR build. Skipping all of the build details for now, I ordered a New Shilen #6 Contour barrel for the build. Long story short, I was planning the 168 gr class of bullets when I did the order, then found the Berger 215's. when I ordered the barrel, I did it with a 1/12" twist. Am I in trouble? I have loaded some 215's and also a few 190 gr Bergers with H-1000. I have not been to the range yet with the new build. What can I expect? Any help or suggestions will be appreciated. Griz

This build will not be a hunting rifle. Started with a Weatherby MK V action, B&C A5 stock, 20 MOA Base, Huskemaw 5x20 LR Scope. 28" Shilen tube Barrel spiral flute and muzzel break by Kempfeld Customs. Weighs in about 15.5 lbs. I just need to get it to the range and see what I have to work with.

This build will not be a hunting rifle. Started with a Weatherby MK V action, B&C A5 stock, 20 MOA Base, Huskemaw 5x20 LR Scope. 28" Shilen tube Barrel spiral flute and muzzel break by Kempfeld Customs. Weighs in about 15.5 lbs. I just need to get it to the range and see what I have to work with.

I think you may be in trouble with anything heavier/longer than 180gr VLD's.
I have a Hart with 1:13" twist, it WILL NOT stabilise anything above 168gr, even at 300WM velocities.

Cheers.
lightbulb

Had a 1-12 twisting my old factory 308 varmint bbl she shot 190 Sierra MKings fine never shot any bergers,don't think she'll handle them b215s though, sorry jjmp

If it's not too late, IIWM I would get a 10 or 9.5 twist.

Don't panic..... LOL

If it is already fitted, up to 190s should work fine at an easy 3000+fps.

1000 yards drift and drop are not excessive. Our current trend in heavy/long for caliber does not mean that what used to be considered heavy/long like 190s in 30 cal won't work. It will work just fine.

I an just going have to do lot of testing. Where the big problem is going to be is that this was chambered for the 215's. I have lots of chamber to work with, just going to need to work up loads and seat the pills long as possible still being safe. I will keep the forum posted as to my progress. On a side note: can a barrel be re-bored to a larger dia. and change caliber. I have a ton of $ in this barrel. Griz

Where the big problem is going to be is that this was chambered for the 215's.
What, exactly, does that mean? What are your chamber specs?

Looking at the Berger spec sheet, I don't see any special needs for the 215 gr bullet. There are bullets listed for a 12 inch twist that have a longer bearing surface than the 215 gr has.

With a 215 Berger VLD, @ .003 of the lands, my OAL is at 3.686. Touching the lands it is 3.699. I set up my Forstner die getting the reading from my OAL gauge of the ogive. A 168 Hornaday A-Max is 3.516 .003 off the lands. Can I seat the 168 - 190 gr pills long as long as I have enough bearing surface for a good case bit on the bullet?

The bearing surface on the Berger 190 gr VLD is the same length as the 215 gr bullet.

The bearing surface on the 185 gr classic hunter is also the same length. The bearing surface on the 185 gr VLD is longer.

All three of those show to be suitable for a 12 inch twist.

There's is on a difference of about 2 moa between the 215 and the 185. You should be around 1100 ft lbs at 1000 with the 185 @ 3000fps.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.