Desert Eagle help

clemens

have question for anyone who can help. I have desert eagle .44 (belongs to my wife) I know they can be very picky as to kind of ammo they will feed reliably. i have some Fiocchi and there terrible maybe do to the bullet design. so anyone tell me with there experience what brand and design of bullet that works reliably thru the Eagle. I know good firm grip is a must, Also can it be reloaded for as well with no hassles? What muzzle velocity works well? words of wisdom most helpful. wife really likes the gun would hate to trade it off for a Springfield Armory long slide .45 or Ruger red Hawk. :cool: Have cleaned it but havn't shot it since gonna give it another try.

My D.E. 44 was extremely reliable and accurate. I fired everything and anything through it. Including 180 gr to 300 gr jacketed bullets, gas checked cast bullets, plain based cast bullets, magnum power level to light loads. The only two loads that choked my gun were light power level loads and plain base cast bullet loads. The light loads just didn't have the energy to fully cycle the action and the empty would occasionally get caught before it cleared. The plain base cast bullets would leave lead deposits in the gas pistons bore causing it to stop before coming into full battery.

What kind of problems are you having?

My .44 loves 240 and up with heavy loads. Talked with a factory rep when I was having stove pipe problems, his reply was shoot jacceted heavy loads and change your grip so that your off hand doe`s not touch the mag.Some after market mags are a little sloppy and when pushed up will rub action.
robster

Is your 44 a Mk VII or a Mk XIX? They have considerable differences. You say your ammo doesn't feed reliably. Please be much more specific. Does it feed ok when you first release the bolt? If you cycle it manually slowly do you feel any binding apart from the force of the springs? When you lower the bolt slowly does it lock on the cartridge smoothly? When it fails to feed does the bolt override the cartridge with the bolt closing without a round in the chamber? Does it jam wiht the cartrdige tilted in the chamber? Does the round enter the chamber but the bolt fails to lock? Is it more likely to fail to feed on the second round of a full magazine or near the last? Does the bolt lock open on firing the the last round? Answering all of of those is likely to indicate one of several possible problems.

How old is the pistol? Roughly many total rounds though it? Has it been shot with unjacketed lead bullets? How many rounds have been fired since it was >thoroughly< cleaned and lubricated per the manual including making sure the gas port and tube are clean and the bolt has been removed from the bolt carrier and lubricated. Have any parts been changed or replaced, particularly springs? If you don't have the DE user manual you can download it in PDF format from Magnum Research maker of the world's most powerful handguns

Most DE shooters avoid cast lead as it is more likely to clog the gas port and tube than shooting jacketed bullets. The gas port is located just in front of the case mouth and runs the length of the barrel to the gas piston. It can be cleaned by soaking the barrel in a lead solvent and squirting solvent though the tube. It's not easy to clean mechanically but that shouldn't be necessary. If it cycles at all the tube isn't completely clogged.

I have two Desert Eagles, a Mk XIX 50 AE and a Mk VII 44 Mag Feeding is not a problem with either. Both frunction normally. You stated a couple of "I know" s but I don't find those to be true for my DEs. I've had no trouble with handloads using HP, JSP, or FMJ bullets. I keep loads around 90% of SAAMI max which is typical of major brand factory loads too.

Stay away from lead "cowboy loads". The DE won' t cycle 300 grain subsonic loads I use in my TC pistol. (no surprise). I haven't tried Ficochi 44mag ammo, but from other Fiocchi ammo I've used I'd be surprised if it's causing your problem.

It's not easy to diagnose semi-auto problems on over the Internet. It would take several pages to describe all of the thing which can be detected by shooting a firearm.

Last edited:
LOUBOYD Thanks for the reply. I bought the DE from a pawn shop about a year ago. It is in real good shape, no dings dents everything seems to be in working order have only had chance to shoot gun few times. It does hang up when closing slowly. when you release slide it sometimes stops just shy of closing, it would fire 2-3 rounds then slide fails to close (closes about half way) or it will fire up to five or all 8. When it refuses to close it can be hard to open to remove cartridge. it has not stove piped any rounds. I figured it was cleaning problem since it was used. Have cleaning kit on the way, gonna give it one more try for the wife. have read the handloads wasn't recommended do to again reliable feeding, yet i figured that was due to warrenty issues. Is there a velocity of both factory or reloads that work best in the DE? Not sure what model number it is. looked at photo's on the web site but wasn't sure of identifying marks. :rolleyes: cartridge I was using was Fiocchi 240gr sjsp.

LOUBOYD Thanks for the reply. I bought the DE from a pawn shop about a year ago. It is in real good shape, no dings dents everything seems to be in working order have only had chance to shoot gun few times. It does hang up when closing slowly. when you release slide it sometimes stops just shy of closing, it would fire 2-3 rounds then slide fails to close (closes about half way) or it will fire up to five or all 8. When it refuses to close it can be hard to open to remove cartridge. it has not stove piped any rounds. I figured it was cleaning problem since it was used. Have cleaning kit on the way, gonna give it one more try for the wife. have read the handloads wasn't recommended do to again reliable feeding, yet i figured that was due to warrenty issues. Is there a velocity of both factory or reloads that work best in the DE? Not sure what model number it is. looked at photo's on the web site but wasn't sure of identifying marks. :rolleyes: cartridge I was using was Fiocchi 240gr sjsp.

There's a section on the magnum research website about identifying the different models of Desert Eagles. Yours is probably a Mk VII or Mk XIX but could be a Mk 1. The lowers are nearly identical, the barrels are an slides are differeent between Mk VII and XIX. The MKXIX slides are heavier as they were introduced to handle the 50 AE but they changed all calibers. The manual you can download has parts lists for all models.

If the bolt doesn't close completely the most likely problem is gummy lubricant. Normal cleaning doesn't get to the parts behind the bolt. Download the manual and read it carefully on how to disassemble and reassemble the bolt. The MRI cleaning kit helps but other tools will work. I would suggest you clean and lubricate the bolt before you shoot it again. It the bolt has galled in it socket it could require replacing parts. The fact your DE is hard to open is also a sign of a gummed up bolt as the bolt has to rotate to unlock.

Don't take the trigger mechanism apart. It can be washed with lighter fluid to remove gunked up grease. I use Tetra-gun grease lubricants on most of my firearms where there are high pressures and tetra oil or Rem oil for small moving parts. Both are teflon based. but there are many that are good. Most lubricants will gum up if they set unused for years. I clean and re-lube all guns I haven't shot on a two year schedule.

When you re-assemble your DE look carefully and you should see that the main "recoil" springs are double, one inside the other and spiraled in opposite directions. The outer spring is heavier. Make sure that all four springs are present and not broken. If your DE started it's life as a 357 it might not have the proper springs (2 instead of 4) That's a much less likely problem than gummy lubricants but easy to check. All of the energy to close and lock the bolt comes from the springs, which are compressed when the gun is fired by the action of the little gas piston. The pressure on the gas piston is around 1000 psi. The pressure at the gas port is around 30,000 psi.

I doubt the Fiocchi ammo is your problem. I just checked and my 44 DE has 240 grain R-P (Remington-Peters) hollow points. They're fairly cheap (Walmart) and shoot just fine in mine.

The slide should lock open when the last round is fired. . If it doesn't ( but does when you pull the slide back manually with an empty magazine it may indicate that the slide isn't properly lubricated or the the gas port or gas tube are partially clogged. Wash them out with a lead/powder solvent like Hoppes #9. A gummy bolt could also cause it not to lock open but won't be the problem if you've cleaned and lubricated the bolt .

You can call Magnum research with your serial number and they should be able to tell you the year and model of your lower. Since uppers and barrels can be swapped within series there's no way for certain to know when they were made.

You might also like to check out this forum. There's BS like all forums but lots of good information too: The Desert Eagle Forums
You'll find many posts with similar problems to yours. Look for the ones where your symptoms were cured. Lots of people recommend different ammo, changing springs, and different holds.
Those are possible, but rarely the needed fix.

SWEET thanks for the information. magnum research still out of cleaning kits. Back to square one for now. Have to find some of my other kits and see if i can solve prob. Have to check local Gunsmith or Dealers to see if they have one. thanks again. Wife happy gonna give it good cleaning and try again. :D

SWEET thanks for the information. magnum research still out of cleaning kits. Back to square one for now. Have to find some of my other kits and see if i can solve prob. Have to check local Gunsmith or Dealers to see if they have one. thanks again. Wife happy gonna give it good cleaning and try again. :D

Midway USA has the DE cleaning tool in stock. (at the time of this post).
5-in-1 Cleaning Tool Desert Eagle
They also have the necessary brushes, cleaning rods, solvents and lubricants. So will most local gunshops.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.