Describe your horse pack outfit?

No calf with the visitor?The 1873 sounds ideal to me.Everybody is different, but I ride oxbows or a variation of..all the time,but they do have to be oversized,like you say.Even use 'em roping,instead of those bell type.I find them better on colts.Did you build your saddle on a wood tree?I like the generous D rings too.Take care.

No calf with the visitor?The 1873 sounds ideal to me.Everybody is different, but I ride oxbows or a variation of..all the time,but they do have to be oversized,like you say.Even use 'em roping,instead of those bell type.I find them better on colts.Did you build your saddle on a wood tree?I like the generous D rings too.Take care.

The tree is a custom rawhide, deer rawhide lacing. From one of the more respected tree makers in the country out of Monticello Utah.

Though she's only a 1/2 seat she's tough enough rope about any thing. But… I'm not into that kind of stuff.

The large rings was a bit of a mistake as the pic I was going from didn't give a good perspective. An inch narrower would have been sufficient but these 5" jobs give a bit of uniqueness. I like 'em.

I prefer oxbows as they allow me to get my heal all the way to the stirrup while having no fear of getting hung up should something happen.

They fully round ones won't let me get my foot all the way in.

I get along better if my weight is on the bottom of the arch rather on the ball of the foot.

Thats's another reason I like western style foot ware. Great arch support.

I'm breaking in a pair of Hawthorne packers. There is/was a pair of White's up the road aways but the price of gas bent me to these local. I'm pleased with 'em.

With a 5E wide foot I kinda take what fits. :)

Great info Roy, but I have Hawthorne boots too, what is the advantage in going to the White's? You are building your stirrups?.One thing for sure, you will have a conversation piece in hunting camp.My camps are usually solo, I like to hunt on my own to.It seems there are hunters out there with alot different objectives alright, I prefer the quiet of my own company and the ponies.I want to follow my instincts and sometimes this makes no sense to others, human others.I travel light, alot like my Grandad did, leather rather than synthetic and always a good trail axe..at the ready.I am babbling but ,bet it resonates with some out there.Ride on...Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts