Death defying Mountain Goats

Buffalobob

The Mountain Goats are really sure footed creatures. I got these pictures up on the ledges of Mount Rushmore. I was worried he would fall to his death from the ledge. :D

rushmore8.jpg

rushmore.jpg

I'll share an interesting story.

Alaska Department of F&G staff had to tranquilize and transport a Billy goat near my home here two falls ago. The goat walked into a homeowner's garage and wouldn't leave. This home and goat are/were located 20 + airmiles from the Kenai Mountain range, which is the closest range of mountains around.

After ADF&G transported the goat 40 miles and released it back in the Kenai Mountains, a hunter shot it the next day near the highway. Hunting season happened to be open. The hunter couldn't eat the goat because the tranquilizer stays in the meat for 30 days. But they did get to keep the horns and hide from the dumbest Billy in the State of Alaska.

I personally think the animal was afflicted with Mad Goat disease. Anyhow, this is a true story. When the homeowner called in and told Fish & Game there was a goat in his garage, they thought the homeowner was complaining about a domestic goat. Next they thought it was a prank call. They finally went out and took some picutures of the wild Billy inside the homeowner's garage, pictures which were eventually shared with me.

Just another reason I never say never!

Yea those goats are sure footed and love to climb. In 1988 one climbed my brand new toyota 4x4 pickup and dented the heck out of the hood and roof:) He did however fall to his death. The owner who was my firends dad shot him off the top of the truck. He fell into the bed dead as a hammer. I actually dont think it was the fall that lead to his demise, but the .50 cal maxi ball. We cooked him on a smoker for thanksgiving:) Worst goat I ever ate, maybe I was just still mad.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.