Deal on a .338 Lapua Christensen MPR

damo_257

Howdy folks. Ever since Christensen came out with their MPR I have wanted one. I found a sweetheart of a deal on a .338 lapua MPR with a Vortex Razor AMG on it.
Anyone here own one of these or shoot one much? I guess I'm really second guessing the purchase as I want a "able to hunt everything" rifle in this purchase. Obviously the lapua is up to the task. Just not sure I need that much! I have other rifles just always have loved the MPR. Any input on the 338 Lapua as a hunting round is welcome too. I appreciate it as this would be my first foray into big(ger) cartridges to truly reach out there. Thanks for your time.

I have a bunch of rifles but it seems we always grab the 338s when we need to hunt. I have two Lapuas and an Edge. My brother also hunts with an Edge.

Ive seen animals shot with 6.5s and 7mms and they just don't hit like the 338s.

I think it depends on circumstance.

I just built a 9 lb .338 Norma Mag for pack in hunting everything rifle here in my home state of Wyoming. Very similar ballistics to the Lapua. Depending on your hunting style, I don't think it is too much. The average range myself and my family/friends that I hunt with have taken animals at is a shade over 600 yards, ranging from 200 out to 940 just this last hunting season, with 3 elk being taken over 800 yards. In the 600+ range, especially on elk, that is where I think the big .338's, such as the Lapua, Norma, Edge and Rum hold their benefit. However, if your typical hunting style limits your shots to 400-500 yards, or if you only game is whitetail or the like.....it really isn't necessary. A .338 WM or 338-06 would do that perfectly, if you want a .338 caliber cartridge. Or even the old mainstay of 30-06 would be great, up to a 300 wm. Or if your only hunting whitetail, I would look more towards a 7mm rem mag or .280 ai for a long range rig, will be cheaper to feed, may not require a brake, and you will likely shoot it more and be more competent with the rifle.

Just my opinion.

Cody

I think it depends on circumstance.

I just built a 9 lb .338 Norma Mag for pack in hunting everything rifle here in my home state of Wyoming. Very similar ballistics to the Lapua. Depending on your hunting style, I don't think it is too much. The average range myself and my family/friends that I hunt with have taken animals at is a shade over 600 yards, ranging from 200 out to 940 just this last hunting season, with 3 elk being taken over 800 yards. In the 600+ range, especially on elk, that is where I think the big .338's, such as the Lapua, Norma, Edge and Rum hold their benefit. However, if your typical hunting style limits your shots to 400-500 yards, or if you only game is whitetail or the like.....it really isn't necessary. A .338 WM or 338-06 would do that perfectly, if you want a .338 caliber cartridge. Or even the old mainstay of 30-06 would be great, up to a 300 wm. Or if your only hunting whitetail, I would look more towards a 7mm rem mag or .280 ai for a long range rig, will be cheaper to feed, may not require a brake, and you will likely shoot it more and be more competent with the rifle.

Just my opinion.

Cody
I agree with Cody. We always grab the 338s because I never know when a long shot is presenting itself. We shot 5 elk this year with an average yardage of 830 yards(2 were strongly beyond 1000); however, we killed four deer averaging under 400 yards in the same areas so we never know even we'll need to hit something hard from a long ways away.

I have an MPR, but not the lapua. I just sent it back as I could not get it to shoot. Scoped the barrel and the chamber was phucked, like had proper freebore on one side, and lands all the way to neck on the other side. I was very unhappy when I called their customer service.

I almost pulled the trigger on one of these (pun intended) in .338 very recently. Want a go anywhere-shoot anything-at almost any range rifle. If it were left handed it would have been a done deal. They are coming out with more lefty rifles, other than the short actions they have now, later this year. Couldn't tell me if this rifle/cartridge combo would be one, I'll just wait and see.

very mixed reviews on the MPR. People with poor shooting ones seem to have 50/50 success in having Christensen address it. Buddy has one in 300NM that he has been thrilled with and taken Elk at 600 & 800 yards. I had a 6.5PRC one that was sub-MOA accuracy but the action on it was just horrid feeling, my Tikka was light years better. I do like the MPR CF chassis though so I just sold the barreled action and will be building up a Bighorn Origin 6.5SST to put in the chassis instead.

Howdy folks. Ever since Christensen came out with their MPR I have wanted one. I found a sweetheart of a deal on a .338 lapua MPR with a Vortex Razor AMG on it.
Anyone here own one of these or shoot one much? I guess I'm really second guessing the purchase as I want a "able to hunt everything" rifle in this purchase. Obviously the lapua is up to the task. Just not sure I need that much! I have other rifles just always have loved the MPR. Any input on the 338 Lapua as a hunting round is welcome too. I appreciate it as this would be my first foray into big(ger) cartridges to truly reach out there. Thanks for your time.
Yep, me too wanted one in the lapua and the 300 win mag.

I found one on a local classified last year. It was a great price so I snapped it up. Accuracy has always been very good with factory ammo, even the cheap PPU ammo.

When I started reloading for it I found that I ran into pressure signs much sooner than I thought I should. It took quite a while but finally came up with the magic combination. Nosler brass, nosler, 300gr accubond, and US869.

I'm getting great accuracy with no pressure signs @ 2689fps. I think it is going to make a really good hunting load.

Attachments

• CBD2702F-321B-449F-B8D1-B8AA344C8F9A.jpeg
    CBD2702F-321B-449F-B8D1-B8AA344C8F9A.jpeg
    577 KB · Views: 54