Daughters first elk- it's not supposed to be like this...

When your young a hunt like that sets the hook for life! My first was age 8 and it was a hunt just like your daughters! My mom was my partner that morning and 57 years later the addiction is stronger than ever!
Five elk tags this year and that hook is stuck deeper into me than ever.
My 29 yo daughter started her addiction to hunting and shooting with a youth elk and deer tag at age 12 also!
That makes you and I a couple of the luckiest guys in the world!!!!

From my heart and soul congratulations to both of you!

That's one huge cow! Well done, I always say any elk is good elk. None were hanging in the camps in NW CO where we were for 4th season, so she has done better than all of us!

My 12 year old daughter has been looking forward to a youth cow tag she drew all year. She got the wrong idea of elk hunting though. It's supposed to involve suspense, suffering, bitter cold, long steep hikes, disappointment and days of hard work.

Well this time it didn't work out that way, 15 minutes and a short hike into our first morning we got into a load of elk bedded in the timber in fresh snow. The wind was swirling and I worried they'd spook at any moment. It was a tense couple of minutes trying to find a clear shooting lane but a mature cow stopped in an opening and my girl made a perfect shot off the shooting sticks with a Savage 308 at about 130 yards. The shot broke both shoulders, double lung, top of the heart and came to rest in the hide on the far side. I've never seen an elk go down so fast.

Easy packout and she's feeling pretty confident and pleased! Couldn't ask for more!

Idaho- Hornady superformance 165gr SST
View attachment 159050

Awesome for her and you! I love hunting with my daughter too. She is 21 now and we already have a life time of stories and memories. My daughter has taken me on more emotional rollercoaster hides hunting than 28 years of marriage to her mom!

great job young lady, and good job dad for taking her out. I anxiously await the day my daughters want to beat the mountains with me for game. Oldest is 8 and has done a bit of small game with me but still not up to much cold weather.

My 12 year old daughter has been looking forward to a youth cow tag she drew all year. She got the wrong idea of elk hunting though. It's supposed to involve suspense, suffering, bitter cold, long steep hikes, disappointment and days of hard work.

Well this time it didn't work out that way, 15 minutes and a short hike into our first morning we got into a load of elk bedded in the timber in fresh snow. The wind was swirling and I worried they'd spook at any moment. It was a tense couple of minutes trying to find a clear shooting lane but a mature cow stopped in an opening and my girl made a perfect shot off the shooting sticks with a Savage 308 at about 130 yards. The shot broke both shoulders, double lung, top of the heart and came to rest in the hide on the far side. I've never seen an elk go down so fast.

Easy packout and she's feeling pretty confident and pleased! Couldn't ask for more!

Idaho- Hornady superformance 165gr SST
View attachment 159050
Good shot young lady, hope the yall are this easy for you

I know what you were feeling at that time. I'll never forget the day my daughter got her first elk. She's 45 now and I don't think I've lost one detail in my mind.
Congratulations to the both of you!!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts