custom load

jbubb

Okay see if I'm headed in the right direction here? I'm using 190SMK win brass and 73 grains of R-22. The Serria bulletion told me that would shoot at 3000fps out of my 26" barrel. Now to tune this load to MY gun I load a dummy round no powder with the bullet setted out to far to shut the bolt. Keep setting .10 deeper every try till the bolt closes. Then the bullet should be TOUCHING the lands. Seat one more time to be .10 of the lands and make 3 loads at that measurement. Then seat in another .10 load 3 and so on till I get my best accuracy? Take the shells to range and make note of what measured load shot best and turn die back to that seating deapth. Do I have it right or am I missing something? Thanks for the help. BOYD: Maybe not yet but I'm hot on the boggieslinger trail.
tongue.gif

[ 03-07-2004: Message edited by: jbubb ]

Sounds about right to me.I would load five tho of each.When you find what shoots the best with five...Load up 20 and shoot two groups of ten.....One other thing...Load the bullets backwards...They shoot better that way
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
grin.gif

I could really be wrong here but this is what I just found out. Different powder charges liked different seating depths.As do different powders like different seating depths.

Just did some testing this past week with a 22-250 tIKA and found three differnd loads three differnt powder/seating depths.All shoot less than .4moa,one being at .24moa.

This could be wrong but makes ya think a bit.

Jbubb,

Another way to do what your are attempting.

take a fired case... the neck will be larger than the bullet dia. at this point....press one edge of the case neck against a hard flat surface as to create a small flat spot on one side of the neck to put pressure or tension on a bullet when attempting to push it into the case. Take a black permanent magic marker and mark the bullet berring surface infrom of this flat spot of the case. The bullet should be able to be pushed into the case with so firm amount of force.

Now place this "dummy" round in the chamber but not all the way.. now close the bolt open and extract the case.. the bullet may stay in the throat but turning the rifle on the but an tapping the butt on the floor should dislodge it.
Now look at the black mark on the bullet you should see a small mark where the bullet stopped being pushed in to the case when the bolt closed. PLace the bullet back into the case until the edge of the neck aligns with this mark. Now measure the ogive of the bullet in realation to the base of the case. This should give you a good idea about the length of the seating depth to get the bullet to touch the lands... if you can't measure to the ogive measure to the bullet tip but this is less accurate as the amount of error in the bullet tips is agreater than the amoun of error in ogives.

I assume you are shooting .30 cal. bullets
in my experience.. however limited that may be..
.30 cal. tend to like to be just touching. or between .010-.020 off the lands...

hope this makes sense and helps a bit...

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts