Curtis axiom action with bdl bottom metal

Buckman300

I currently own a Curtis Axiom action in 6.5 Creedmoor and feed it from AICS magazines. It feeds well I'm very pleased with the action. I'm now looking to build a 300 PRC on an Axiom long action with a BDL bottom metal. But I'm concerned about being able to top load through the rather small ejection port of the Axiom action. Does anybody have a Curtis action setup with a BDL style magazine? Is loading the magazine an issue?

Thanks

26B185A6-EE80-4320-A554-0C9844EA40BD.jpeg

Buckman300,

Glad you're happy with your short action Axiom.

The long action Axiom is being replaced by the Helix.

The Helix is the same 700 long action footprint, has an integrated recoil lug, 3.8" ejection port, will accept a 4" internal box, optional 20 and 30 moa pinned and screwed rails, feeds either BDL internal box or AI style mag, and available with optional 1.100"x16 tpi thread tennon.

Unfortunately with the solid bridge, they are unable to be top loaded. We felt that the ridgidity was more important than cutting the bridge to enable top loading.

I am in production with them now, delivery starts in 2-3 weeks. If you would like to get on the list, fell free to call me. 7178050940

View attachment 125572

Buckman300,

Glad you're happy with your short action Axiom.

The long action Axiom is being replaced by the Helix.

The Helix is the same 700 long action footprint, has an integrated recoil lug, 3.8" ejection port, will accept a 4" internal box, optional 20 and 30 moa pinned and screwed rails, feeds either BDL internal box or AI style mag, and available with optional 1.100"x16 tpi thread tennon.

Unfortunately with the solid bridge, they are unable to be top loaded. We felt that the ridgidity was more important than cutting the bridge to enable top loading.

I am in production with them now, delivery starts in 2-3 weeks. If you would like to get on the list, fell free to call me. 7178050940

How are your able to load a BDL style magazine of you cannot top load?

I guess you could put bullets in the
bottom through the unloading door but the seems highly unorthodox.

ADL internal boxes were made for top loading, BDL internal boxes were made to load/unload by utilizing the hinged floor plate.
View attachment 125572

There must be some quirks in your design that could be fixed.

I have some factory Remington BDL style rifles. I load all of them from the top.

I have three Surgeon actions with an integral top rail, an integral lug, and BDL magazines and hinged floor plates. I load them from the top too.

No quirks in the actions...
All of those actions you mentioned are two lug designs... our is 3 lug.
The 12 o'clock raceway does not allow the bridge to be opened up beyond a certain point.

I'm interested is a Curtis Helix action because of the 60° throw and overall quality. I'm a little concerned that the BDL model has to be bottom loaded. I have never heard such a thing. I've looked all over the internet to see examples of this with no luck. Can anyone here elaborate on loading a BDL style rifle from the bottom?

I'm interested is a Curtis Helix action because of the 60° throw and overall quality. I'm a little concerned that the BDL model has to be bottom loaded. I have never heard such a thing. I've looked all over the internet to see examples of this with no luck. Can anyone here elaborate on loading a BDL style rifle from the bottom?

You literally just turn it over, pop the metal open, dump the shells in and pop it closed.

There is a YouTube video showing it I'll try to find it

I just did a search for it on YouTube and couldn't find it. Let me know if you find it. Thanks.

Yeah I think it got removed, used to be the first result. I'll find one or maybe make one if I have to lol

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.