Bottom metal

Julie

I am building a rifle for the first time and need some advice. I have the action (M700 long, magnum boltface), McMillan A3 stock, Krieger barrel, .338 Norma reamer, and all the associated parts EXCEPT the bottom metal. I am not a big fan of detachable magazines on bolt action rifles (I don't know why, I just don't). Can anyone suggest a good bottom metal? Does anyone out here have a .338 Norma on a M-700 action with a detachable magazine? If so, is there any problem with OAL with the magazine?
Thanks in advance for the help.

jrock

The 338 Norma is designed to work with the 300 grain bullets in CIP length mags. I like DBMs but am very picky about the magazine release style. Personal preference weather you want a DBM or BDL. I modify my DBMs to work better with the Norma vs. the longer Lapua case.

Rhett Crider

LRH Team Member
Take a look at these. Low capacity mag box portrudes maybe 3/8"

kfreeze

Take a look at these. Low capacity mag box portrudes maybe 3/8"
I really like my hs precision bottom metal and mag. They dont have that release lever hanging down to catch on stuff.

Rhett Crider

LRH Team Member
Mine is on a M700 action that was a 300WM. Had to open up the feed lips because it was chambered to a Nosler. Stock work was minimal. Dremel for the release.