Creating A Solid Sandbag Rest In Your Treestand

BLC3128

What do you do to ensure that you have a proper rest for your rifle in your tree stand?

I'm talking specifically about built stands with 4 openings (one on each side) to shoot out. I have been using a Protektor front saddle bag and owl bag. I rest them on the window frames. However I have stands that have shots out to 900 yards and I feel like I need something more stable, especially for the rear bag. I like sandbags for this purpose, but I feel like I am limited with the position of my rear sandbag since it can only rest on a window frame. Does anyone have a solid solution for using sandbags in built stands? No pun intended!

Thanks in advance.

What do you do to ensure that you have a proper rest for your rifle in your tree stand?

I'm talking specifically about built stands with 4 openings (one on each side) to shoot out. I have been using a Protektor front saddle bag and owl bag. I rest them on the window frames. However I have stands that have shots out to 900 yards and I feel like I need something more stable, especially for the rear bag. I like sandbags for this purpose, but I feel like I am limited with the position of my rear sandbag since it can only rest on a window frame. Does anyone have a solid solution for using sandbags in built stands? No pun intended!

Thanks in advance.
2x6 shelf all around a couple inches under the window. Brace it like you want to set a bulldozer on it. Put extra bracing on the legs, and keep the floor no more than 6' above the ground if possible. Shoot with a bipod or iron front rest and a squeeze bag. If the stand is big enough, use a wider shelf. When building a new stand, I basicly build a benchrest on a sled with sides and a top. I put the floor a couple of feet off the ground. Getting high has no real advantage hunting cut fields.

You may want to look into bags made for PRS. They are meant to be used for long distance shooting off of all kinds of unusual obstacles.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.