Crazy idea

HawkeyeFan

I have had this crazy idea after watching a decent buck hang around at about 275 and not come a step closer then prance out to about 350 and trot away never to be seen again.

Could 12 gauge 3 inch hulls be loaded with high ballistic coefficient slugs in the .408 to .50 caliber range and be shot out a custom fast twist barrel of some sort. The bullet nose could project from the hull if one was careful to load one at a time or use a single shot. The high BC would retain what vekocity you could get and they would not need to expand as .50 cal is pretty much pre-expanded.

A dial the range type of scope could make this pair deadly out to 300 maybe even 400 yards?

Am I crazy or has recoil from all those slugs through the years basjed my brain in?

HawkeyeFan

Not to crazy..lol! I think maybe with a tab longer than normal barrel and some experimenting you can get a little more out of a slug gun. Slugs today have effective killing ranges up to 200 yrd at around 1900fps. with the same slugs I think they use out of muzzle loaders which would be ,451 sabot. I think if anything the sabot would have to contain a liter .40 cal or less to get out there to 350. I think a 50 cal bullet would loose energy way to fast. And the 2 3/4 inch shell has the same range as the 3 inch does little liter slug but in some cases faster. I think..lol!lightbulb

@ ICAN, I'm not sure but isnt the Sabots that you find in shot shotshell the same sbaot the you find in with some muzzelloader bullets? I looked at some of my varies slugs, Winchest, supreme, extreme elite, Hornady sst, platnuim tipps, etc, They look like the same .451 bullet as my barnes muzzle loader Tipped TMZ 250 grian. If thats the case. They both travel about the same Fps give or take. Wind effect would be about the same. if theirs wind. I shot my slug gun at 200yrds and put them in a pie plate. There was about 10-15 mph wind. It didnt seem to effect the bullet. As far as shotguns being dead, here in Jersey they seemed to be the popular. If not just put a mil dot scope on I did.

<a href=

Myrifle30-378009-1.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.