Cracked sizing die why ?

Be careful on sanding the shell holder, I had the same problem with a custom 28 Nosler, tight tolerance I have the Redding FL die and I shaved a few thousand off the shell holder. What that created was a thinner lip and if not lubed correctly, you will need a stuck case remover, I had a one of mine that busted the lip on the shell holder and a stuck case in the die. What I did was remove a few thousand off the die. Something else I have done is just bump the shoulder back .002 instead of a full length sizing, that may help in preventing the die to crack.
I believe a better easier alternative would be by a set of redding competition shell holders Rather than trying to sand your die or regular shell holder

I believe a better easier alternative would be by a set of redding competition shell holders Rather than trying to sand your die or regular shell holder

Redding competition shell holders are from .002 to .010 taller than a standard shell holder. Meaning these shell holders do not push the case as far into the die as a standard shell holder. And designed to bump the shoulder back less than a standard shell holder.

The Redding competition shell holders are the same thing as placing a feeler gauge between the shell holder and die to adjust shoulder bump. The main difference with the Redding competition shell holders is you do not need to touch the die and control the amount of shoulder bump by changing the shell holder and still have press cam over.

7FfXhJ7.jpg

Redding competition shell holders are from .002 to .010 taller than a standard shell holder. Meaning these shell holders do not push the case as far into the die as a standard shell holder. And designed to bump the shoulder back less than a standard shell holder.

The Redding competition shell holders are the same thing as placing a feeler gauge between the shell holder and die to adjust shoulder bump. The main difference with the Redding competition shell holders is you do not need to touch the die and control the amount of shoulder bump by changing the shell holder and still have press cam over.

7FfXhJ7.jpg
I think I see what you're saying if the base was expanded the Reading shell holders would not push the cartridge and as far – possibly not cracking the dye but then the shoulders may be too long?

I think I see what you're saying if the base was expanded the Reading shell holders would not push the cartridge and as far – possibly not cracking the dye but then the shoulders may be too long?
yup, you still have to maintain the correct headspace... those shell holders only really help if your chamber is non-standard for some reason

One more thing : if the web is expanding in diameter, the primer pockets should be loosening up.

Max web expansion should be 5/10000 from new brass, which indicates don't load hotter.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts