Cows in dec

wyowinchester

This weekend was set aside for some relatives of a friend of a co worker of my sons. hue...
Six people showed up Thur. evening with some cow tags for our area around here. We loaded them all up and took them for a walk in the mountains. Did I mention they are from corn country, Iowa.
About 30 min into the walk we found the elk a mile and a half away, uphill's.
They said they wanted elk and would go where we needed to go. So out and around we went. When we reached the desired elevation we set out towards the herd. We missed. They got into the trees just ahead of us. Chasing elk up a steep slope is not a smart plan, so we made ourselves comfortable and ate lunch and took a nap. We split up and covered a couple of ridges and bottoms.
We could here the meews, bugles and chirps form above us. Spirits were high.
The elk stayed out of sight in the trees, but they were there. About an hour before dark, around twenty came running out into the opening we were watching. They caught our sent and turned to run across in front of three of the Iowan's. I hit the cow call and they turned right for us. That was a sight to see.
All of them wide eyed and wondering. When the elk were ten yds away I stepped up and got to watch that group go wide eyed, and screech to a halt. SHOOT, To make a long story short, they did get two out of the bunch. Went back in the next day and packed out the meat.
Went back in the next day and found them again farther in and up. After an extensive hike we took down three more. Packed out all the loose meat and took some mules in today and brought out the quarters. All in all, it was good.
TRYING TO GET A PIC IN THERE

Attachments

• SCOPED ELK.jpg
    SCOPED ELK.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts