Couple of last minute cows

Tikkamike

Well the late season cow tags that we had ended yesterday on the 21st. last week I didnt think I was going to end up filling any more tags because work has been crazy, I was able to sneak away friday and try my luck. I ran up on the hill and found some cows way down country so I called my dad and ask if he wanted in on it. He said he did so I decided to drive around and see if I could find anything easier to get to while I waited on him to finish a few things in town and get up there. no sooner had I hung up the phone and I spotted about 15 head above a road a few miles away. I knew exactly how to get to them so I drove over and parked and walked up the hill toward the spot I thought they were going. I peeked over the hill and there was a spike and a couple of cows but they walked over the edge of the hill and out of site. I was pretty sure they would reappear on the far side of the bowl so I gained a little elevation and abuot the time I got to where I wanted to be the elk were coming out the far side of the bowl. I laid down got a range 504 yards, referenced my drop chart and dialed 7.25 MOA on the NXS and settled in behind the ol'375 RUM no wind and a dead solid rest, Finally one cow cleared from the herdbut was slowly walking right to left so I put it on the front of her shoulder and let a 270 grain TSX head her way. the timing was about perfect she stepped into the bullet tucking it neatly into the back of the shoulder. I saw the bullet impact and she struggled to keep her balance. she took a couple of steps in a small circle and her legs went stiff as a board and she tipped over and started sliding down the steep hill then crashed into the one tree on the hill side. I went back to the pickup called my dad and found our he was still waiting on a guy to call before he could get away so I told him not to worry about it I could get her out myself. I knew she was in a crappy hole that we usually try to avoid but it wasnt that far to the truck its was just very steep and slick. It was 9:30 am, I had all day so I wasnt worried about it. I grabbed the sled and made my way to her got her quartered and loaded on the sled (which I broke one of the skis off on my way to her when I let it go down the hill on its own and it slammed into a tree and broke the right ski tip off) once I got her loaded I was quickly reminded how heavy elk are and why you do NOT shoot the biggest cow in the herd! 9 hours later I was at the truck exhausted but I had the elk. Threw her in the truck and went home.
Saturday I was a bum and did nothing even though I had another tag to fill over on the Big Horns I decided I would try sunday.. then I got lazy and decided to try sunday night. About mid morning dad calls and says he has a cow down so I abandon my hunt plans and head over and help him get his out. It only took us about an hour and we took it out whole. He shot his with his 375 ruger and 270grain TSX at 400 yards in the shoulder. I did end up eating a cow tag but its my own fault because it was open for over 2 months and I never went out even once to even look. Overall it was a good ending to a decent hunting season.

Where I shot from

Where she ended up

what a .375 cal 270 grain TSX does at 504 yards

Click on this pic to play video of me getting her to the bottom of the hill

Dads Elk

Last edited:
You work hard for that one. I drew a area 3 tag in Craig. Showed up on the 21st and scouted the eastern boundary and did not see any sign so on the 22nd we went north of Mabell and scouted the western boundary. Storms were coming in from the NW so we hunted the windward side of the draws. Went over a ridge into a valley and found a herd of 150 or so. Dropped the lead cow at 285 yds and were able to back the truck up to her. Easiest Elk hunt I've ever been on!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.