Could Somebody Please give me a QL estimation?

jonesse91

Hello, I am running 150 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips out of a ruger 77 with a 24" barrel. I am using WW brass trimmed to 2.490" and neck sized. Seating the bullet to 3.280" OAL using 67.0 grains of H4831sc with a Win WLRM primer and getting 2908 avg. Could someone please run the numbers to let me know how much wiggle room I have with this load? Thank you

Ah, I apologize for that. I typed that and forgot about the caliber. lightbulb Might be important huh? It is a 7mm Rem Mag. Sorry for the confusion.

I think you'll also need to provide the barrel's bore and groove as well as bullet diameters to the thousandth of an inch. As I remember, Quick Load uses these in calculations; smart thing to do.

Based on your numbers you're load is just over 59,000psi and max shows as being slightly over 62,000 so I would say you don't have much "wiggle" room if you are looking to stay within those parameters.

Based on your COAL I'll assume you are off the lands with your seating but as a hypothetical if you were/are touching the lands with this exact same load, per QL, your start pressure would be 66,300psi.

Yes I am definitely off of the lands, my gun seems to like a jump into them. That is really surprising, I thought I would be able to get more than 2900 out of a 150 grain bullet from a 7mm mag...

. . .I thought I would be able to get more than 2900 out of a 150 grain bullet from a 7mm mag...
With your load in a barrel whose bore and groove diameters are on the large side of specs, 2900 is quite normal.

I dont have a 7mm mag but i guess in my opinion you should easliy be able to get 3000 with 150s. have you tried any different powders? also maybe a seat them out longer to make a little more powder space? its my understanding that people are getting 3050 or more with 168s in a 26in so i would keep trying. i would love to hear any progress you make as i am thinking of building a 7 mag in the hopes of the numbers that i just stated. good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.