Could an action swap change harmonics?!

DENRIK89

I've been reloading for a little over ten years, many thousands of rounds everything from hunting to competition. I rigged up a new prs rifle last year, krg chassis, TT diamond, proof prefit 6 creed, Peterson brass n555 powder br2 primer 3110 fps SD of 9fps. It started out with a defiance anti action (20oz) and the thing absolutely hammered then when I got a tenacity action action (32oz) in I switched them and then it started shooting like 💩. Headspace is exactly the same between the 2 actions, all the parts and components are the same lots, same good quality and consistent. Could the action change have threw my harmonics off enough to go from shooting .1-.2 to shooting 1moa?! Anyone else ran into this?

Attachments

• 9203F7F8-27C8-4FAA-A651-3F59CD5E367D.jpeg
    9203F7F8-27C8-4FAA-A651-3F59CD5E367D.jpeg
    661.4 KB · Views: 113
The thought of going back to seating depth tuning makes me a little ill haha but I'm sure would be the appropriate course of action now?

If it doesn't shoot well enough for you. Send the action and trigger to us. Tell us what caliber you would want to shoot, what barrel & length.. We will use it to shoot a few K rounds with it to determine any issues and upon completion of shooting all our ammo to determine the issues we will only charge you for current prices of reloading brass, powder and bullets and give you detailed results on how the action and trigger preformed. We will then return you with a Barrel, Your Action & Trigger with Proof Targets with bullets/powder and loads used.
Len & Jill

EDIT
Just a little humor
If you had a great shooting 6 creed then changed your ACTIONS Same barrel now same head space, Rifles are different when you change components.
Way past my bed time and getting yelled at. Will look at this tomorrow.
Len

Last edited:
Are the velocities comparable? If not I would adjust the powder charge and then try differing OALs. What is the general shape of the groups. Triangular? Two close one out?
Same exact velocities and variations and during initial load development it didn't care what powder charge was, even crap speeds shot bug holes but that's After I found seating depth. I find seating depth first then tune charge. Nice triangle groups just too big that's why my first reaction was my seating needs retuned

You changed the keystone - the part that links barrel and stock, the part that controls headspace and timing, the part that is arguably the core component that DOESN'T normally change.

You built a new rifle, work up accordingly. The action is the rifle, everything else is parts.
In my experience the barrels have been the heart but I've only ever switched barrels from one to another of same type/model of action so I'll go back to the drawing board

Same exact velocities and variations and during initial load development it didn't care what powder charge was, even crap speeds shot bug holes but that's After I found seating depth. I find seating depth first then tune charge. Nice triangle groups just too big that's why my first reaction was my seating needs retuned
It does. Triangles-out, two close one out-in.

If it doesn't shoot well enough for you. Send the action and trigger to us. Tell us what caliber you would want to shoot, what barrel & length.. We will use it to shoot a few K rounds with it to determine any issues and upon completion of shooting all our ammo to determine the issues we will only charge you for current prices of reloading brass, powder and bullets and give you detailed results on how the action and trigger preformed. We will then return you with a Barrel, Your Action & Trigger with Proof Targets with bullets/powder and loads used.
Len & Jill

I appreciate the offer good sir, albeit expensive sounding haha. I guess putting together and tuning 3 from scratch guns this year, then this fubar, have put me past the point of frustration 😵‍💫

Triangles is very often a powder charge issue. Start playing with small incremental increases/decreases in powder charge. I suspect you'll find the answer. Good luck.

Recent Posts