Correcting a poorly inletted stock

fireroad

Need some advice before I try my hand at pillar and glass bedding.The first rifle I am going to attempt is my Remington 700 LSS (stainless with laminate stock....full size, not "mountain" rifle). The stock is very poorly inletted as the barrel does not run true in the barrel channel when the action screws are tightened. I can set the rifle into the stock and everything appears okay until you tighten the rear screw and it cocks sideways from what looks like excess material under the tang. Can you recommend a method for determining the high spots when the inlet is not 100 correct? Is there something I can put on the action (some sort of marker or paint) that will mark the stock so I know where to sand?

I use it all the time when inletting. I apply it onto the metal with either an acid brush or q-tips. Carefully lower it into the stock, and anywhere that makes contact the inletting cream will transfer onto the stock.

Thanks! I also got the recommendation that I should be carving out the excess wood instead of sanding it. Brownells sells some wood carving tools, but they either have no reviews or pretty poor reviews. Any recommendation on a decent wood carving chisel set?

I kinda' like those made by Dastra Woodscrew. They have an intermediate size that are just right for me for inletting and establishing some shapes. If you search and can't find them just hollar and I'll look up some links or,,,,,,,,,,, I have several sets or individual pieces for sale. They are pricey at $30-$35 each but they hold an edge and they're the right size for the job.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.