COOKING IN SNOW

I've been able to run canister fuel stoves below zero with no issues in CO. I don't think I have backpacked with white gas in 15 years. I have to pay more attention to moisture management with sleeping bag and clothes then fuel issues. It's not like you have to warm the canister to room temperature. Now your water takes some diligence.

Tried to find a few photos of my stoves in the snow, on the plywood. Can't. So, I'll take some this winter. Ya, am 62 now, started winter camping when I was about 15 or so. Got my first snowshoes as a teen, then cross-country skis. Was doing winter backpacking trips, ski & snowshoe, back in the 1970's, and never really stopped.

USMC mountain warfare training several times. Deployment above the arctic circle in Norway a bit over 20 years ago. That was so cool. The Norwegians have winter pretty well figured out. Imagine that! :)

Have called Washington State home for 25 years and live in an area surrounded by beautiful mountains... In recent years I've done more Jeep-camping than backpacking, but I still get out on the snowshoes and skis regularly.

Ha, my MSR, after nearly 20 years, was giving me fits, even after cleaning/servicing it. I remembered that way back in the garage I still had my little Svea 123 from the 1970's... Found it, blew off the cobwebs, filled it with fuel... YUP! :) Still works just fine. Pretty funny. The battered little stove and I are doing just fine together again.

I've got a couple of photos from those "old days" but they don't seem to have a stove in 'em:

Me, 45 years ago or so:
7sxe7mMl.jpg

And last winter:
sdcQZkdl.jpg

Love that winter stuff. You guys brought back some good old memories. I'll have to dig out the stove and platform and take some updated photos. Pretty sure I've got a photo or two of the old stove, when it was new, in the 1970's. Kinda fun to be using it again.

Now excuse me, I've got to get breakfast and head out. Am seeking fresh mountain lion tracks in the new snow this morning. On snowshoes of course!

Regards, Guy

YEA! I have a SVEA 123 too, with the Swiss made SIGG TOURIST cook kit.

I envy you that snow. I have to drive up from the 'Vegas valley into the Spring Mountains to get snow. But we do have mountain lions up there too. Plus elk, and deer, the lions' dinner. But no bear and that means I can be more at ease about my backpacking food.

Usually I take my Atomic Telemark skis up there B/C my longer, skinnier Asnes backcountry touring skis just can't turn as well. My MSR Lightning Ascent snowshoes are just too much work in the deep snow.

Have a great winter!
Eric B.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.