Snow Shoes vs Micro Spikes

NYSHUNTER

Which one will you choose for deep snow and slipper conditions and why ? Got some snow this year and couldn't really walk in it. I wanna be ready for it next year..

They do different things. Snowshoes are designed for deep snow and provide flotation so you don't sink into the snow as much. They should have cleats to provide traction on icy crusts on snow. The micro-spikes and other traction aids that go on your boots are designed for traction on ice and do not provide any flotation for deep snow. I have, and use, both depending on the conditions.

I carry some boot chains in my pack during mid to late season hunts because it doesn't take much snow or ice to make things real slick, especially with a heavy pack. They are similar to the micro spikes and only a few ounces but offer a lot of extra protection against nasty slips or falls, especially since I usually hunt alone. Snow shoes usually stay in camp unless I am expecting a huge dump of snow.

Getting around in snow... that can be a tough one. Snow shoes, backpack, sled/pulk, ski's, crampons or just boots and gaitors... they all have their place depending upon conditions. Some people take a combination like ski's for getting there and snowshoes for getting around in the woods. Snowshoes are a whole topic on their own.

I carry some boot chains in my pack during mid to late season hunts because it doesn't take much snow or ice to make things real slick, especially with a heavy pack. They are similar to the micro spikes and only a few ounces but offer a lot of extra protection against nasty slips or falls, especially since I usually hunt alone. Snow shoes usually stay in camp unless I am expecting a huge dump of snow.

+1!

I agree with snake regarding deep snow. And like him I prefer skis. They don't sink into the snow as far as snowshoes. (Try it, ye unbelievers.)

If the terrain is flat or merely rolling I use my narrower Norwegian army skis, the "Combi-Combat" white skis made by Asnes. Climbing skins may be used if I'm pulling my pulk sled up hills. I use old, heavy leather backcountry XC ski boots with these if the temps are above 15 F.

If it's steeper terrain I use my wider, shorter Atomic TM 22 skis with climbing skins for steep uphills. For these skis I use Scarpa T3 plastic boots.

BTW, when skiers go with snowshoers ALWAYS put the skiers in the lead to break trail. It's far easier for the snowshoers and the skiers B/C skiers have a hell of a time using snowshoe tracks.

With both boots I listed above I use a VBL (Vapor Barrier Liner) of divers 3 mm neoprene sox over thin Polyester pr polypropylene socks. This keeps my feet much warmer than even heavy wool socks and keeps the boots dry and warm. I prefer US Divers brand neoprene sox as they have fitted Right and Left sox. they come factory seam sealed, saving me the trouble. VBLs keep your sweat from compromising boot warmth, even in uninsulated boots.

Eric B.

BTW, when skiers go with snowshoers ALWAYS put the skiers in the lead to break trail. It's far easier for the snowshoers and the skiers B/C skiers have a hell of a time using snowshoe tracks.

I am not a skier and I have not been snowshoeing that long, ~5/6 years but I when we go snowshoeing on trails shared by both, the old timers basically told us to go around the skiers trail and don't mess with it ... it makes sense to me and quite the courtesy.

I am not a skier and I have not been snowshoeing that long, ~5/6 years but I when we go snowshoeing on trails shared by both, the old timers basically told us to go around the skiers trail and don't mess with it ... it makes sense to me and quite the courtesy.

I've always been told that if there is a ski trail then people with snowshoes should walk to the side. I figure that would be common courtesy. Most of the time though no one has been where I am going so it makes no difference.

In NW Pennsylvania I only used snowshoes when "postholing" through two of more feet of snow was exhausting. And then I had to carry my rifle on my day pack because I needed both hands for my XC ski poles. I used a Browning sling that had doubled sling straps so I could separate them and put a strap over each shoulder.

In addition I carried my rolled up "Deer Sleigher" plastic sled strapped below my pack to drag the deer out. The sled unrolled and the field dressed deer was strapped in with criss-cross paracord through the grommets on each side of the sled.

Here, especially, XC ski poles are essential for getting the deer out. And I mean XC backcountry ski poles with larger baskets, not short alpine ski poles with tiny baskets. These poles help add push to your effort if you know how to use the straps on the handles properly. GOOGLE "XC pole strap use" online for instructions.

In deep snow deer tend to herd up and not travel much because it expends too much or their precious energy reserves to travel in deep snow. So you must go to the thick, brushy areas and sheltered lee areas of hills to find them.

Eric B.

I was injured (left shoulder as I hit a tree while sliding on my back) using my Atlas snowshoes. They have a tubular aluminum frame and are usually OK but this time I slipped, fell and slid on high angle icy crust.

SO... I purchased MSR Lightning Ascent 'shoes that have a vertically oriented aluminum frame with "teeth" to prevent sideslipping. Since then NO problems on steep angle slopes.

Eric B.

I was injured (left shoulder as I hit a tree while sliding on my back) using my Atlas snowshoes. They have a tubular aluminum frame and are usually OK but this time I slipped, fell and slid on high angle icy crust.

SO... I purchased MSR Lightning Ascent 'shoes that have a vertically oriented aluminum frame with "teeth" to prevent sideslipping. Since then NO problems on steep angle slopes.

Eric B.

I have the cheap Redfeather snowshoes and found myself sliding all over. I made some additional crampons and attached them and haven't had an issue since.

I'm a huge fan of the MSR Lightening Ascents. They tend to grip better than my older Denalis or tube-framed Atlas.
If I'm by myself, I'll use "sweeper" skis; short, wide skis with built in skins and bindings that accept any boot. They aren't as fast as back-country skis, but they are must faster than snow shoes. They also have a very easy learning curve and need no special boot.
Karhu used to make them, then made them under the LL Bean name. Now the only company I can find that makes them is Altai. The Altai Hok comes in 125cm and 145cm.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.