Converting TRG42 boltface to take smaller calibers

faker404

Hi,

I have an option to purchase a trg42 action and stock assembly, and want to use it for a 6.5x284. I was told that, since the Sako bolt and extractor was set up to work with 338 LM originally, the boltface and extractor will not engage a standard size case head, and would require some work.

Can those in the know perhaps indicate what my options are at this point in terms of the bolt?

Thanks
Jack

Tyhe good thing about steel is that you can add and remove material to makin things fit the way you want via welding , the trouble is that its gonna be impossible to weld on the bolt head and notover heat the locking lugs so after the whole process is over your gonna have to have the bolt
re-heat treated. It would be possible to fill in the bolt face some by welding then machine it back out to the size you want , this whole process is gonna be expeisive you'll probably be alot better off buying a new bolt or having Sako make you one that you need , they might have some sort of a trade in ?
I'm sure that their are several ways to skin this cat but it ain't gonna be cheap and most likly not as neat and clean as a factory setup.

Manufacture a new extractor claw to protrude further into the centre of the bolt face, enough to pick up the case of the 6.5x284. manufacture a ring with a slot for the extractor that will sit inside the bolt head. epoxy the thing in place, it doesn't take any stress, its just there to stop the case slipping off the extractor during extraction/ejection. There are epoxy's available that are tough enough.
Steve at truefligh barrels performs the same type of modification to barnard actions to enable going from .223 and up. Ive done it on a few rems, it works, its cheap to do and its reversable,.
Pete

Thanks Pete. I'll be sure to run your suggestion past some of our local gunsmiths - that does sidestep the potential heat damage to the locking lugs....

Regards,
Jack

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts