Constructive criticism ...

Its hard to read context in forum posts. Also one time experiences or people perception of those experiences does not necessarily equate as fact. People need to differentiate between fact, opinion, and coincidence.

Agreed! People need to take the time to synthesize the information that is being presented.

It needs to be that way to weed the stupid people out. Just because we all are allowed as a basic right to have an opinion doesn't mean that a stupid opinion gets to go unchecked.

It's not so different then the grunt side of the military. You make one little mistake you are hazed and heckled to kingdom come. Not saying that everything should be like that but you join a place called "sniperhide"...... thats the price for entry. If a person doesn't act like a dumb *Rule 4 Violation* and stays in their lane they'll be fine.

dfanonymous...

language warning ;)

constructive criticism means that the person receiving it is expected to change something about themselves.

So it depends on who is giving the CC.

If it's some proven moron, then excuse me for blowing off the suggestion. It the criticism comes from a respected person that I know well enough on a website, then sure, that requires consideration.

Most of the time, I would personally PM somebody that I respected, not blow them up in public and call it CC.......

I think constructive criticism is something that should happen often. I prefer to be told what I'm doing wrong than being allowed to continue to do it incorrectly.

I handle it with a Thank You!

I believe it is a learned trait. I don't believe some people are born with it. I think if your parents raised you to be the best that you can be, they have given you plenty of constructive criticism before you even knew it could be perceived as a bad thing. Don't get me started on parenting. LOL

Steve

Steve,

Well said!

I got my appraisal feedback yesterday and in my preparation, I ran into the following recommendations ...

1. Stop your first reaction.
2. Remember the benefit of getting feedback.
3. Listen for understanding.
4. Say thank you.
5. Ask questions to deconstruct the feedback.
6. Request time to follow-up.

Ed

Last edited:
42EB6303-063C-4198-B885-997C44FC0D55.jpeg
Cheers to @FEENIX for getting us to look inward and recognize both our tendencies and our opportunities to improve.

Attachments

• 21BEE995-9211-47D7-9206-A022FF446E80.jpeg
    21BEE995-9211-47D7-9206-A022FF446E80.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 19
It's an OK dram. Not my favorite, but admittedly, I'm a bourbon guy. The folks at Balcones are doing some cool things though, and I have a couple of their offerings on my bar

I do not discriminate any good spirits. I too like Bourbon but prefer Scotch. Here's a couple of my favorites (at least at the moment) ...

Dalmore Scotch.jpg

Nikka Whisky.jpg

I just ordered Blanton's Single Barrel Bourbon Whiskey for my son's birthday, I hope he likes it. :cool:

I guess it all depends on the nature of the criticism and what it encompasses. Usually I'll get ****ed off and need to take a step back. Once I step back I usually see where I can improve.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.