• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED Confused about a Timney?

matt_3479

Just about to order a Timney Trigger for a Remington 700, told the gentlemen that i wanted it at 1.5 lbs. He told me that setting a trigger at its lowest setting, that sear engagment may be too light and it can cause skipping. he wasn't saying its a forsure thing but says i can happen and then you will have to increase pull weight to compensate for it?

Now i have never heard of this happening, and i have never heard of people saying its even possible. I was curious, is this something i need tow worry about

He then tried talking me into the Rifle Basix trigger cause they go from like 4oz or something up too 1.5 lbs and on the heaviest setting i wont have to worry about it

That is what their web site says about their triggers in the instructions.

I recently installed a Timney on my M700, but I have mine set at 2.25#.

I am no expert on triggers, but during my research it seemed to be a common theme that a Timney is an excellent trigger within their published pull weights, if you want to have a pull weight at 1.5# and below, a Jewell would probably be a better option. Don't know that from experience, just saw that a few times during my research.

So far I am very happy with my Timney. It breaks very clean and the measured pull weight is very consistent.

Good Luck

All of my Jewel triggers have come from the factory, set at 1#. You can always adjust them up, or change the springs that come with them.

I'm worried with a jewel trigger that as a hunting/target gun it might have issues with dirt. Not that I don't clean my rifles or careful but you never know. Anyone have those problems?

All the sear engagement issues I've seen have been factory M700 triggers which, like the man said, occur when a person adjusts them too far in the "light" direction. Haven't heard of the same problem with most aftermarket triggers, as long as one stays within the prescribed adjustment range.

Timney will set the trigger to 1.5 lbs for a little extra money. 9 out of 10 times they will go to 1.5 or just under with out skipping. have had a couple not adjust down but think they have since fixed the problem. If it don't adjust they seemed to have good service and fixed the problem. With that said the rifle basics triggers are pretty nice to.
Just my two sense

I'm worried with a jewel trigger that as a hunting/target gun it might have issues with dirt. Not that I don't clean my rifles or careful but you never know. Anyone have those problems?

You will have no more issues with a Jewel than any other triggers as far as dirt. (They should all be cleaned if they get dirty).

I recommend the Jewel with safety and a set range of 1.5 to 3 pounds. (It comes with 3 different springs. It can also be adjusted In the stock.

I don't recommend less than 2 pounds on a hunting rifle and the Jewel set on 2 pounds feels like 1 Pound.

J E CUSTOM