Compact Binoculars

newguru

I'm looking in the near future to buy a pair of compact binoculars to go along with my regular binoculars (Vortex Vipers 8x42).

I really like the Vortex and and I'm actually considering buying a pair of their compact binoculars but I'm open to suggestions.

My budget is $400 or less.

Here is what I'm looking at right now:
  • Vortex Fury 8x28 (around $230 retail)
  • Kowa 8x25 BD25-8 (around $175 retail)
  • Zeiss Victory Compact 10x25 BT (around $500)
  • Minox 8X24 BR Binoculars w/Long Eye Relief (around $199)
  • Leica Trinovid Compact Binoculars 8x20 BCA (around $550)
Any others I should be giving consideration to not on this list?

Anyone have anything good, bad or otherwise vs. any of these?

Thanks in advance

IMHO, small objectives make better glass and coatings even more important. Go with the best you can afford. Zeiss over Leica.

Another possible choice is the IOR 10x25, great European glass, $250 delivered.

Scott

Some IOR binos have a slight yellow tint which is great for glare but not pleasing to most. I believe the 10x25 have the clear glass. They are excellent and compare favorably with the German stuff (it's Schott glass with Zeiss T-3 coatings).

Scott

newguru,

I've got a pair of the Zeiss Victory 10x25s, absolutely love 'em. They fit nicely in a pocket, are crisp and clear all the way to the edges, and easy to use.

I don't think I'd want to glass all day with them, but for eastern type hunting like looking into the edges of woodlots, checking fencelines, or looking down corn rows they are excellent.

Chris

Yeah I have my Vortex Vipers for serious use while hunting. I'm looking for these new compact ones for lighter use while hiking, concerts, that type of stuff where you don't want to lug around the big heavy glass.

Some IOR binos have a slight yellow tint which is great for glare but not pleasing to most. I believe the 10x25 have the clear glass. They are excellent and compare favorably with the German stuff (it's Schott glass with Zeiss T-3 coatings).

Scott

Where to the Swarovski 8x20s fall, quality wise? Anybody with the experience of comparing these to the other assortment of compact binos listed here?

Where to the Swarovski 8x20s fall, quality wise? Anybody with the experience of comparing these to the other assortment of compact binos listed here?

Probably at the top of the heap.

I still struggle with small objective binos. I have pigeon-holed them for daylight use only.

Scott

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.