Comp Dies

texasgunner

Would like some feed back on boards thoughts about com. dies (Redding esp.) Are they worth the money, verses
regular dies, do they provide better accuracy

I'm not sure what dies you use now.…..

"Comp" dies are generally only different in flexibility to change how the neck is sized. They can also change how the bullet and case are aligned While seating which may show up as improved concentricity. Whidden is more flexible than most giving more adjustment to CBTD also.

What are you trying to improve?

Also, Forster basic dies are a little more expensive, but can offer amazing precision.

Well I don't have a concentricity gage. I have a set of RCBS full length dies, also Redding neck die, and
Redding comp. bullet seater, I know a little crazy, I came into them by various means

I would get a Forster full length if i were in your situation and some Creedmoor Sports or Imperial wax lube.

I would also get a caliper you trust or caliper and 0.500 gage pin off Amazon. I would also get a digital micrometer that is as accurate as you want to spend. I use igaging.

The compare fired to sized with each die. I would loose for minimal shoulder and base sizing compared to fired, and easy to chamber.

I prefer the Forster Ultra Bench Rest seater dies over the Redding. The Forster has a thicker seating stem that won't bend from compressed loads and has finer seating adjustments (and it's the original). For my 22 Hornet and 5.56 loads I really enjoy the window in the RCBS Competition Seater die as they provide minimum runout and they are easy to use for fat fumble finger guys.

I don't have any experience with Redding Comp dies. My only experience with competition dies is with Forester. The Forester sizing body is a little longer than the sizing body is on my typical RCBS dies. My 6.5 Creedmoor must have a smallish chamber. I had to grind the shell holder a little bit to get my desired shoulder bump.

I get better concentrically with my Redding Comp dies. You can get decent concentricity using standard dies but overall the Comp dies, or any that support the bullet/ case and guide them while on the up stroke of seating gives you a better chance of consistent concentricity IMO. Are they worth it? That depends on the job of the rifle you intend to use them with. On my AR15 I don't use them. On my long range rifles I use them.

I'm a big fan of Redding Type S FL Sizing Bushing Dies with a neck bushing of my choosing and then I use Mandrel Expanders to set neck tension and Forster ultra micrometer seating dies to seat the bullets… Everyone will have their own opinions on what works, this is what works for me.