Colorado vs Wyoming

bradthemarine

Greetings.

This is my first post but I've read through this site for a few years. I'm looking to try my hand at elk hunting in the next 2-3 years and I'm trying to determine which state to focus my efforts. Right now my search has come down to Colorado and Wyoming for a few reasons.

1. Location. I'm in northern Virginia so these states are two of the closest options for me.
2. Either Sex/Any Elk tags. I'd love to get a large bull but those can be tough to come by, I'd rather bag a cow than come home empty handed (meat is the priority).
3. Both states offer OTC tags. If I don't draw a tag I can purchase from whats left over.

A bit about me: I'm 37 and in decent shape, hiking and camping shouldn't be too much of an issue for me (provided I take a day or two adjusting to the altitude change). I'll most likely be shooting either a .308 or .260 with hand loaded ELD-Xs. I'm pretty confident out to 500 meters but I won't force a bad shot even if it's inside that distance. Bow hunting for elk is off the table for me right now but that won't always be the case. I can probably fly out for a long weekend scouting trip at some point.

Please let me know why I should focus on one state or the other, and if I've completely missed something please fill me in.

Thanks for all the knowledge here, even if I never bag an elk I can live vicariously through the rest of you.

-Brad

Greetings.

This is my first post but I've read through this site for a few years. I'm looking to try my hand at elk hunting in the next 2-3 years and I'm trying to determine which state to focus my efforts. Right now my search has come down to Colorado and Wyoming for a few reasons.

1. Location. I'm in northern Virginia so these states are two of the closest options for me.
2. Either Sex/Any Elk tags. I'd love to get a large bull but those can be tough to come by, I'd rather bag a cow than come home empty handed (meat is the priority).
3. Both states offer OTC tags. If I don't draw a tag I can purchase from whats left over.

A bit about me: I'm 37 and in decent shape, hiking and camping shouldn't be too much of an issue for me (provided I take a day or two adjusting to the altitude change). I'll most likely be shooting either a .308 or .260 with hand loaded ELD-Xs. I'm pretty confident out to 500 meters but I won't force a bad shot even if it's inside that distance. Bow hunting for elk is off the table for me right now but that won't always be the case. I can probably fly out for a long weekend scouting trip at some point.

Please let me know why I should focus on one state or the other, and if I've completely missed something please fill me in.

Thanks for all the knowledge here, even if I never bag an elk I can live vicariously through the rest of you.

-Brad
You might want to consider New Mexico for a land owner tag hunt if a cow tag is acceptable. I use an outfitter that provides this service and I think it is very reasonable.

Left over tags in Colorado are a hit or miss situation. The areas I hunt for elk and deer (711/071) hasn't had any over the last few years.
Be prepared to purchase a yearly small games tag if you apply online. It just adds the cost of the tag.
Good luck on your quest

I may be wrong on this, but.....While Colorado has a much higher elk population than Wyoming, Wyoming has a higher hunter success rate. Do not take this at face value, verify my comment.....I may have dreamed that! ;) memtb

I always love when people seem eager to jump on leftover tags. Mostly tags are leftover because the people who had them the year before do not want them again. If the hunt had been great the tags wouldn't be leftover. When you see a unit with 500 leftover tags do not be surprised when you and your 499 buddies show up to hunt the same drainage. I see this type of thing happen often, just don't want you to have a bad experience. I can't speak to WY. but put in for 1st or 4th season tags here in CO. You have a great chance of drawing your first year in a lot of units. Decide what units you want to hunt. Maybe the years you don't draw come during an over the counter season just for the experience. 1st season will have fewer hunters and the elk can be more calm and can still be bugling (at least until the first gunshot). 4th season, if there is snow, it is easier to predict where the elk are. When researching an area spend time on google earth looking at it, if you are seeing large areas of dead trees, this is beetle kill and is brutal to hunt in. The elk will also avoid as much of this as possible but they will not abandon the area completely. It is something to think about when you shoot an elk in it, you better take a chain saw or a helicoptero_O.

Wyoming can be quit a zoo during hunting season also . Hunting private land can be costly and hunting public land can be crowded here as well . As stated Wyoming is a draw state for most big game even for residents elk moose ect.

Didn't think non rezi's needed points to apply for tags leftover after the first draw. You'd need to do some homework if you get one of those tags. Otherwise, plan on hunting CO as you'll need some points here...

You have a great rough plan and enough time to carry it out. Both places are good although the CO elk populations do have the nod and the WY locations are more wide open. In any case, it'd be great if you had the means to do a quick scouting visit once you narrow it down. Studying the public land maps and div of wildlife resources of both states will help greatly. As long as you're willing to do something different than driving or ATVing constantly or hunting a short distance from noisy camps, don't be hindered by the zoo because that is what they are doing. Finding your drainage or dark N facing timber where they bed in the day, to be patient and keep an eye on, is what will get you your elk. I showed my wife this last season when I showed her the drainage we would watch from top to bottom, from a good overlook. The ATVers paraded by one by one and at 9m, 5 elk heads come from the low thick beds right up our drainage and a beautiful cow presented herself and my Tikka 300wsm did the rest. Let us know how your planning goes and feel free to contact me for specific CO area info. cheers, mike

Four guys from Mobile, AL went to Colorado last year. If I recall correctly, it was for black tail deer, not elk. They got leftover tags from an area that had not been good the prior year, but had done their homework. There was a wild fire in the area the year before. All 4 tagged out. They used onX hunt and another app that I can't think of to plan their hunt. This was a complete DIY hunt.

Four guys from Mobile, AL went to Colorado last year. If I recall correctly, it was for black tail deer, not elk. They got leftover tags from an area that had not been good the prior year, but had done their homework. There was a wild fire in the area the year before. All 4 tagged out. They used onX hunt and another app that I can't think of to plan their hunt. This was a complete DIY hunt.
We are talking elk not deer, a forky mule deer or doe is probably one of the least challenging animals to hunt out west, not even in the same realm as elk or trophy mule deer.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.